Two strand twists are great hairstyles for men, women and kids alike. With proper care, you can maintain a two strand twist hairstyle for weeks together. Trouble maintaining your twists? Here are some useful tips.
Twists are a great alternative to dreadlocks. Twists can look shiny, while dreads give the matted unwashed hair look. Also, twists are fun to make and can be created quickly. What more? If you leave them for long, they can turn into locks. Though, this would involve not washing them for weeks. (Gross…) But if you like two strand twist hairstyles and want them to last for weeks, then there are some special tricks that can help you in the job.
Tips on Maintaining Two Strand Twist Hairstyles
Two strand twists are cute looking hairstyles which look similar to locks. You can make them yourself at home, and keep them for weeks. But many people tend to have trouble making them and also making them last for weeks. With proper care and the proper method of styling, the twist can remain shiny and in place for many weeks. Also, you can keep your scalp and hair clean at the same time.
Here are tips on the best way to make two strand twists, which will make them stay-put longer, and tips on aftercare as well.
- Two strand twists also known as Senegalese twists. So, before you start making them, remember the smaller the twist, the longer it lasts. If you wish them to last for weeks and weeks, then make small partitions and then start working.
- One more golden rule is to make them with damp hair. So, first comb your hair with a thick tooth comb and then dampen it. Then apply a hair product on it. The most commonly used and recommended is a leave-in-conditioner. Also, this product tends to keep the hair soft and well moisturized, which makes it a good choice of styling product.
- Alternatively, you can go for pomade, cream or hair gel. But never go in for slippery or oily products.
- Then start working on your hair to make two strand twists.
- Once you are done with the twists, let the damp hair dry completely. Use a hooded dryer or a normal blow dryer. Do not sleep with the damp twists on. Let the hair completely dry off first.
- To secure your twists, you can use beads, bands or small cute clips. This is up to you. However, if you have made your 2 strands twists neatly, then you don’t need to secure them with anything. In case you made the twists in a child’s hair, then secure them with bands or clips for better maintenance.
- One more thing you can do to make them stay for longer is keep wearing a scarf or cap. Also, keep wearing a silk scarf when you are sleeping to prevent the twists from coming out.
- Every night, before you go to sleep, apply some hair oil or butter to them. Choices are coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil and jojoba oil. You can also mix some scented essential oil to any carrier oil, and then apply it to the hair, to keep the twists shiny and smooth.
- Every week or after every few days, you can shampoo your scalp and twists to keep them clean. For this, take out your twists and wash them, or wash slowly and carefully with the twists on. No matter what you do, make sure you wash the hair clean so that all the shampoo comes out. Wash the hair a couple of times till no shampoo residue can be felt or seen.
It is quite easy to maintain them actually. However, one shouldn’t get lazy. Because, if you ignore their daily care, then you won’t be able to make your beautiful twisties last for long.