Coloring your hair on your own, at home, is simple. You need to master just two things: mixing the colors proportionately and handling the color brush correctly. The tips and instructions mentioned in this article shall be of help.
Coloring your hair yourself isn’t as difficult as it may seem. From choosing the right color to aftercare, everything can be learned. Yes, professional coloring does make a difference. However, for single-color procedures, a stint at home won’t make much of a difference. With an experience of one or two stints, you might even start coloring like a pro. Who knows? Let’s begin then?
A common mistake most people make is not preparing their hair before application of color. If your hair fails to meet ideal conditions, then the hair color doesn’t gain prominence. As a result, neither does the gray hair get covered, nor do you get the exact shade you chose.
- Rinse your hair with water. Do not apply shampoo if the hair color cannot stand over shampoo. Allow your hair to dry completely.
- Choose a hair color product that is manufactured by a reputed brand. Select the color according to your complexion.
- Wear gloves and handle everything with a brush and/or spatula.
- Read the instructions on the packet and mix the exact amount. Prepare the mix and let it stand for the desired time.
- Once you have prepared the mixture, do a strand test as per the guidelines, to ensure that the product suits you.
- Start applying it with the brush tip, starting from the roots and extending to the tip of the follicle.
- Part your hair in sections for complete coverage.
- Now, pile each section on top of your head. Use a head wrap or a hair clip to keep the hair intact.
- In case you want to highlight your hair, you can color the selected strands and then separate them with aluminum foils.
- Keep a note of the time as indicated on the color pack.
- After the time period is over, rinse your hair with water. Ensure that no amount of color or hair dye remains on your hair and the water starts running clear.
Hair Coloring Products
A mixture of henna powder is the best for coloring your hair at home. It’s not only natural, but is extremely useful for maintaining the health of your hair. Henna is a natural conditioner that adds volume to your hair and prevents hair loss. If you practice coloring your own hair, always opt for natural henna powder or leaves. You can prepare the mixture with tea tree oil or tea liquor. It ensures complete gray coverage and adds luster to your hair. Other home-based hair coloring products from reputed brands are also available in cosmetic storehouses. L’Oreal Feria Haircolor, Garnier Nutrisse Permanent Creme Hair Color, Clairol Herbal Essences, Clairol Natural Instincts, Naturtint Permanent Hair Color, etc., are a few good brands available in the market.
After you’re done coloring your hair, make sure you use a color guard shampoo and conditioner.