Hair relaxers are creams or lotions which are applied on curly or afro hair, to make them less voluminous and easier to manage. Most hair relaxing creams have high amounts of chemicals such as alkali, which are able to tone down the frizzy afro hair, effectively. Ammonium thioglycolate is, however, a stronger agent in relaxing curly hair than alkali, but can cause severe damage to them.
Various products use ammonium thioglycolate in very small quantities so to make the relaxer more effective, as well as protect the hair from damage. But since the relaxer is applied to the roots of the hair, there are 80% chances of hair loss. However, if you are looking for herbal or natural hair relaxers, it is best that you make your own creams at home. One of best options for these is using coconut cream relaxer, as it has both relaxing and conditioning abilities.
So, read on to find out the recipe and the effects of this natural hair relaxer, take a look.
Recipes to Try
The process of hair relaxing is also called lanthionization, where curly and frizzy hair is relaxed or made slightly easy to straighten by applying certain chemicals. These chemicals are added to cosmetic hair creams and the creams are applied to the roots of the hair, leaving it for a few minutes and then rinsed. This is a treatment which needs to be done for about 2 months in intervals, to get permanent results.
However, there are many harmful effects of this chemical treatment on the hair, as relaxers are applied directly to the roots. If you want to avoid this damage, you can use herbal remedies to relax your hair temporarily with natural ingredients. One such ingredient used to prepare natural hair relaxer is coconut cream, a thicker paste made from coconut flesh and very little water.
As all of us know, coconut is one of the richest sources of vitamin E and proteins, using coconut oil and cream for hair is absolutely safe and healthy. Therefore, in the coming up paragraphs, you will find an interesting recipe, which is easy to make, gives manageable and shiny curls, and conditions your hair perfectly.
- 5 tablespoons coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 oz Greek yogurt
- The ingredients are easily available in any grocery store, so you don't have to prepare anything other than the relaxer yourself. However, in case you don't find the cream, you can scrape out coconut flesh and blend it with 2 to 3 tablespoons of water to make a paste and not milk.
- Now, heat the coconut oil for about 3 minutes and add it to the bowl of coconut cream. Mix it well, before you add the non fat yogurt to this mixture. When you have made a smooth paste, add the yogurt and mix it too.
- This relaxer is ready to be used, and should be noted that it is free from any harsh chemicals that are usually used for better relaxing effects. You can add lemon juice and cornstarch to this relaxer as well, for better results.
Using the Relaxer
To use this relaxer, you need to wash your hair with shampoo first and then condition it very slightly. On wet hair, take about 2 tablespoons of the relaxer and with the help of your finger balls apply it to the roots of your hair. Make sure you have covered the whole hair with this relaxer, and once done, wear a plastic cap and leave it for about 45 minutes.
Then, rinse the hair with warm water and apply very little shampoo to remove the relaxer completely. Don't apply conditioner to the hair. Repeat this procedure daily for about 1 or 2 weeks and see the results for yourself. You will have lovely soft manageable curly locks, which you can enjoy!
I am sure with this useful information about the relaxer, you have found a great alternative to chemical relaxers. So, try it out and nourish your hair with natural ingredients instead of chemicals.