Caramel highlights on brown hair look gorgeous, when done right. Here are pictures to inspire you and important tips you need to remember before adding these highlights to your hair.
Caramel is a warm hair color, hence while getting caramel-colored highlights on brown hair, one needs to select the brown color which is a warm shade too. So, that these two colors complement each other nicely. As you will be selecting warm hair colors, select a warm shade of brown like a combination of chestnut brown hair and caramel highlights.
Whenever coloring hair, your skin tone and eye color is taken into consideration.
Hence, it is important to understand your complexion, to avoid any hair coloring disaster.
Caramel Hair Trends 2013
In caramel color, there are many shades of caramel; so select a shade that complements the base of brown hair neatly. This year the trend of deep brown hair with caramel highlights is in. Check out the picture of Megan Fox in caramel hair. This look gives a beautiful warm look and paired with a red lipstick it looks very sexy.
Another trend is caramel and dirty blonde highlights in brown hair. This style is sported by celebs like Natalie Portman, Jennifer Aniston and Blake Lively. You can consider this style if it suits your complexion and eye color.
Ombre is a popular style this year. This is an easy-to-carry style and looks good on most people. It is very fashionable and looks great if the right shade of hair color is selected. You can keep your hair base the same, just color one-third of your hair at the bottom with caramel highlights. This is a low-maintenance look, but looks good. Also, ombre can look great when you style your hair into an updo.
Who Can Get It?
As mentioned above caramel is a shade of warm color, hence it needs to be accompanied with a warm brunette shade too. People who belong to the warm category, can have warm skin tone which can be freckled complexion, brown skin tone with pink or golden undertones, pale complexion with peach or golden undertones or a ruddy complexion. The eyes can be golden-brown eyes, hazel eyes with brown or golden-colored flecks, greenish-blue eyes or green eyes.
If you have natural warm brown hair which are a shade of dark brown or golden brown or of chestnut shade then, you should go for caramel highlights. If you don’t have natural warm brown hair, but have warm skin tone and eye color, then dye your hair with a shade of warm brown color first and then get caramel highlights.
Combinations like dark warm brown with caramel highlights, chestnut hair with caramel hair highlights, deep chocolate-colored hair with caramel highlights, and golden-light brown hair with highlights of caramel look superb. People with cool skin tones and eye color should avoid getting this color, as it can make their face look drawn or sallow.
How to Get Caramel Highlights?
You can highlight your hair at home using the foil or the cap method. However, if you are new to this, or want to get many highlights then approach a professional. If you are thinking of coloring your hair and getting a haircut, then first get the haircut and then the highlights. This will give you a clear perspective on how your highlights will look on your new cut.
- Get minimum6 highlights in your brown hair.
- Get equal numbers of highlights on both sides and some at the back of the hair.
- Keep the number of highlights more on the crown, and few in the bangs.
- If you tie your hair back, then keep a highlight of caramel behind each ear, so that these streaks are revealed when you tie your hair back.
- To get a more textured look, gets highlights in the deeper sections of the hair too.
Make sure you stick to skinny highlights if you are getting more than 8 highlights. If you are getting around 6 streaks of caramel hair color then keep them chunky so that they stand out well.
How to Care for Your Colored Hair?
Wash your hair with shampoo that has been especially made for colored hair. Consult your stylist for the appropriate hair styling products for colored hair.
- If you don’t have such a shampoo, then stick to a mild clarifying shampoo for washing your hair.
- Colored hair starts fading when exposed too much to sun. Hence, avoid exposing your hair to sun, use scarves, hats or umbrella to protect your hair.
- You can also use a leave-in-conditioner which contains sunscreen, this will help protect your hair against color fade due to sun exposure.
- Before swimming in a chlorine-treated pool, wash your hair with spring water. This will dilute the effect of harsh chemicals.
- Hair coloring tends to make hair dry, so at least once a week use a hair mask for deep conditioning of the hair. This will retain the moisture in hair.
- When your hair is wet, don’t use a brush. For untangling wet hair, use a serum on your hair first, then comb with a wide tooth comb to get rid of the tangles.
If it is your first time dyeing your hair, then first perform an allergy test. If you are allergic to the dye, then avoid coloring your hair. However, if you are not allergic then go ahead and color your hair into glamorous caramel highlights.