If you want loose and wavy curls, then a body wave perm is something that you can consider. This perm is a great option for women with fine and thin tresses, who want to add volume to their hair.
Whenever people think of perms, they have visions of tight, spiral curls. However, not all perms give you spiral curls. Body wave perm is a type of perm that gives your hair a wavy and natural look. This perm can help you create volume, and unlike regular perms, a body wave perm looks more natural. This perm is suitable for straight as well as curly hair. Women with fine, flat or thin hair can also opt for this perm to create body and volume. It is not a permanent process and the results of a body wave perm lasts anything from three to five months, depending upon the texture of hair.
Body Wave Perming Procedure
Perming includes use of chemicals, and so the procedure needs to be done very carefully, to ensure the best results. The size of the rod used for a perm wrap is the only difference between a regular perm and a body wave perm. For a body wave perm, larger diameter rods, usually around 2 inches are chosen.
- Hair is first washed with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any product build-up. Without applying any conditioner, freshly washed hair is sectioned off.
- Each hair section is then wrapped around the perm rods.
- The perm solution (waving lotion) is applied over the hair, so as to raise the cuticle layer and break the disulfide bonds. The chemicals in the perming solution makes the hair flexible and it imitates the shape of the rods.
- The perming solution is washed off after some time and hair is blotted with a dry towel to remove excess water.
- Next, a neutralizer is applied to the hair and it is allowed to remain for some time.
- The neutralizer is then washed off and the perm rods are removed from hair.
- The hair is then rinsed off again to wash away any chemicals. Hair can then be styled as desired.
The procedure of perming takes about 1 to 2 hours, depending upon the length of hair. It takes about 24 to 36 hours for the perm to settle down and look perfect.
Things to Remember
There are a few things that you should keep in mind before getting a body wave perm.
- Since chemicals are used to change the internal structure of hair, your hair needs to be in a healthy condition to get this perm done.
- If your hair is damaged from heat styling or if you have colored your hair, then you need to talk to your stylist before your perm procedure.
- If you have chemically straightened your hair in the last seven to eight months, then you might not be an ideal candidate to get a body wave perm.
- Sometimes your stylist might not understand the look that you are aiming for. So, it is best that you carry pictures of the type of wave that you want.
- You need to remember that you cannot shampoo your hair for 24 to 48 hours after getting a perm.
- Perming might make your hair dry and rough, so it is best to use a hydrating and moisturizing conditioner.
Do not attempt to do this procedure at home, as a wrongly done perm can lead to frizzy hair. It is best to avoid perming hair at home. If you want to get a temporary body wave, then you can do so with a curling iron. This will also help you know whether the body wave style suits you or not. Before getting a body wave perm, it is best that you consult your hair stylist. He/she can do a strand test and you can know whether your hair is healthy enough to get a body wave perm.