Oily hair can be a real problem. It is lank and difficult to style. You washed your hair in the morning, and it looked fresh, but by evening your hair is greasy and unattractive. So what causes oily hair? The reason for oily hair is the excessive secretion of sebum in the scalp. Sebum which is an oily substance is secreted by sebaceous glands. Sebum is a natural moisturizer. It is found in large amounts on the face and the scalp in the human body. So it is not that one has greasy hair, but a greasy scalp. The hair is only drawing out the sebum (oily substance) from scalp. One has to make the scalp less oily in order to have less oily hair. Thus, the shampoo for oily hair is the same as the shampoo for oily scalp. Using a good shampoo suitable for oily hair will reduce the amount of sebum secreted, and make your hair clean and healthy looking.
Top 5 Shampoos for Oily Hair
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo, Oily: This is a great clarifying shampoo, one of the best actually. It smells great and is a very light shampoo. This shampoo lathers up well and with a single wash you can make out the difference.
Desert Essence Shampoo, Lemon For Oily Hair: This is one of the most suitable shampoo for the oily hair type. It gently removes oil from the scalp and the hair. It has a base of coconut oil and sugar and contains extracts of organic tea leaf and jojoba seed. This shampoo helps to strengthen the hair and gives the hair a refreshing lemon smell.
J. F. Lazartigue Micro-Pearl Shampoo For Oily Hair: This shampoo is a little bit more expensive compared to others. However, if you have tried all the different shampoos and nothing seems to work for you then give this shampoo a shot. Let the shampoo sit on the head for few minutes before you rinse it, and check the results.
Neutrogena Shampoo, Anti-Residue Formula: This is not an everyday shampoo, but you can use it once a week with your regular shampoo. This anti-residue shampoo helps to break down stubborn sebum and cleans hair gently and thoroughly.
American Crew Shampoo: This is another gentle yet effective product. It is a leading brand that manufacturers men's grooming products. This shampoo is good for regular use and can be used everyday or for few times a week.
What's the Best Shampoo for Greasy Hair?
The first thing you need to notice before you choose a shampoo is the texture. Is the shampoo whitish in color, or is it transparent? If the shampoo is not transparent then it means it has some amount of conditioning ingredient in it. So stick to the transparent mild cleansing shampoos. Also, astringent removes excess oil from the hair. There are herbal and fruit based astringents. Some of the fruit extracts to look for in a shampoo for greasy hair are olive, lemon, and other citrus fruit extracts. A good herbal oily hair type shampoo should contain extracts of aloe, tea tree oil, rosemary, sage or chamomile. So let's look at the best shampoos for oily hair type. Also, a quick fix for greasy hair is a dry shampoo. It will make your hair look less greasy and more voluminous within few minutes.
The Right Way to Shampoo Hair
- When shampooing your hair you need to shampoo in a certain way to remove all the unwanted residue from your scalp and hair.
- For shampooing your hair use only lukewarm water, avoid using hot water. Using hot water for shampooing your hair will make your glands more active and they will start producing more oil. So, use lukewarm water and wet your scalp and hair.
- Then take some shampoo in your palm and start vigorously massaging your scalp with circular, and up and down motion of your finger. Do this for a minute and then apply shampoo to your hair too.
- If you have long hair then avoid piling them up on your head. After this wash your scalp and hair clean. When you are washing your scalp with water again rub the scalp surface till the shampoo comes out and you can get a squeaky sound by rubbing the scalp.
- If you have very oily hair, then you might need another application of shampoo. So, again shampoo your hair with the same above steps. However, this time you can keep the shampoo on your head for 2 minutes. In the meantime you can scrub your body, and then finally wash your head too.
- If you have oily scalp with dry ends, then apply conditioner to the hair ends. Never apply conditioner or conditioner based shampoo on the scalp. Conditioner should always be used on the ends if they are dry, and never near the roots.
Top 3 Dry Shampoos
Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo: This is a great quick fix for oily hair. After using this product you will notice that the hair are lighter, feel great and smell a fresh lemony smell. What more?! This product is free from many harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, etc.
Ojon Rub-Out Dry Cleansing Powder: This dry shampoo powder comes with a nozzle, which helps to apply the powder easily to the scalp region. The powder is fine in texture, and helps to maintain shine and effectively remove greasiness from the hair and scalp.
Ojon Full Detox Rub-Out Dry Cleansing Spray: This is another great dry cleansing product from Ojon. It helps to remove sebum by 45%. Also, it is not in powder but spray form so it is completely undetectable and easier to use.
The Right Way to Use Dry Shampoo
- If you are using powder based dry shampoo, then sprinkle it on your parting hair line generously. Also, make partings on other places on the head and sprinkle the powder. Do this at 7-8 places.
- Now spread the powder with your fingertips. Then allow the powder to sit for 2 minutes.
- Now, bend over and back comb your hair and check.
- Spray on dry shampoos are to be used in a similar way. However, if you have oily scalp and hair, then apply the spray on different sections of hair too. Let it sit for two minutes and then comb the hair.
- If you have oily hair then avoid brushing your hair too much. As this action spreads the sebum all over the scalp will make your hair look greasy.
- Avoid using products like hair creams, gels, or other styling products. As they will block the hair follicle and make it overactive to get rid of the blockage.
- Excessive shampooing can make your hair and scalp eventually dry, and for some it might even cause irritation. So, first thing is to stick to a pH balanced mild shampoo and secondly avoid overusing shampoos.
- If you have very oily hair then wash it everyday with a mild shampoo and once a week with a strong shampoo. Others can use a mild shampoo every alternate day.
- In case your hair have become very oily, and you have to improve your hair appearance use a dry shampoo as a quick fix.