Every woman desires to have thick, glossy hair. But sometimes thick hair can look bulky and become difficult to style. Thick hair tends to stick out of the head like a canopy, especially in case of wavy or curly hair. Thick hair gets frizzy easily and does not look presentable at all. The only solution to all these problems is to thin hair out. The process of thinning out hair is also known as hair texturing. Beauty salons usually provide this service. But, spending money every time you want to thin your hair is not a feasible option. Thinning hair at home is cost-effective and it will make your hair more manageable.
How to Thin Thick Hair at Home
Ideally, if you want to thin your hair at home, you should use thinning shears. Thinning shears are special type of scissors which has jagged blades. They can be purchased from any beauty store or you can order them online. Here are some instructions on thinning your hair at home.
- Shampoo and condition your hair with a smoothing shampoo and anti-frizz conditioner.
- Let your hair air-dry. You can also use a blow dryer if required.
- Once your hair is completely dry, brush your hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove any knots and tangles.
- Identify the areas of your hair which is overly thick, and using a comb, part the area into even sections.
- Hold out one of the sections of the hair and slide the thinning shears halfway through the length of the hair from the scalp. Make sure that you do not attempt to thin hair from the roots or the ends.
- Holding the shears at a forty-five degree angle, make a snip with the thinning shears.
- Remove the thinning shears and run a comb through the section.
- Move on to the next section of hair and snip hair with the thinning shears in the same way.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining sections.
- Step back after you are done, and take a careful look at your hair in the mirror. If your hair looks less poofy and voluminous, then you are done.
- If you feel that the first snip has not thinned the hair section enough, then you need to snip it once again. This time, place the thinning shears ⅓rd way up from the scalp.
- Snipping twice will be sufficient for straight and wavy hair, while curly hair may require a third snip as well.
Alternatives to Thinning Hair
If you do not wish to use thinning shears to thin hair at home, then the following tips might help you thin your hair.
- Use a paddle brush while blow drying your hair. This will ensure that your hair remains straight and does not frizz.
- Get the right haircut to take away some of the bulk. Generally long layers looks flattering on very thick hair. Talk to your stylist to know which haircut will suit you.
- Straightening hair with flat irons or hair straighteners can also make it appear less bulky.
- You can also opt for hair masks and deep conditioners. Deep conditioning hair will make hair smooth and sleek.
- Homemade hair masks like mayonnaise and olive oil hair masks are also quite effective in taming unmanageable, thick hair.
- Use hair care products like smoothing shampoos and conditioners that are specially meant for thick, unruly hair.