Hair relaxers are used for straightening curly and kinky hair. A hair relaxing treatment usually lasts anywhere between six to eight weeks.
A hair relaxer is basically a lotion, cream or serum that alters the structure of curly hair to relax the natural curls, making hair straight or less curly. The active agent in most hair relaxers is a strong alkali while in some it is ammonium thioglycolate. The hair relaxer works on the hair to make it straight and more manageable and the results are permanent. However, new growth have to be touched up regularly, which is usually done every 6 to 8 weeks. It is best to get your hair relaxed by a professional in a salon. But, there are many hair relaxer kits that are available in the market which you can try at home. If you follow the instructions properly, you can get very good results.
How Do Hair Relaxers Work
There is nothing like relaxers that are specially meant for white people. A relaxer will work on any type of hair, regardless of whether the hair is that of a Caucasian, African or Asian. The ethnicity of a person has nothing to do with the usability or effectiveness of a hair relaxer. However, hair texture plays a decisive factor on what strength of hair relaxer one should opt for. If you are a Caucasian with frizzy, dry and curly hair, and wish to use a hair relaxer, you need to opt for a relaxer with a lower strength. Your hair stylist can better guide you on what strength of relaxer is suitable for your hair structure.
How to Apply a Hair Relaxer
Once you purchase the right strength of hair relaxer kit, it is time to proceed with its application.
- First comb or brush your hair to remove any knots and tangles.
- Next, apply the get that comes in the kit around your hairline. If your kit does not come with the gel, then apply petroleum jelly around the hairline.
- Section your hair into four equal sections and wear the protective gloves that comes with the kit.
- In a plastic bowl (or any non reactive bowl), mix the relaxer cream and activator until it is smooth and properly combined.
- Next, apply this cream to your hair with a hair brush, starting ¼th inch from the root.
- Once you are done applying the relaxer on one section, start with the other sections.
- Take a rattail comb and use it to smooth and work the relaxer through your strands.
- Leave the relaxer on your hair for the time prescribed on the back of the kit. Make sure that you do not exceed the time limit or you could ruin your hair.
- During this period, the active ingredients in the hair relaxer alters the normal structure of hair to make it soft and straight.
- Next, rinse your hair well with warm water until all the cream relaxer is washed out.
- Shampoo you hair with a neutralizing shampoo and moisturize your strands with a conditioner. The conditioner restores the moisture content and improves hair texture.
It is very important that you follow all the instructions carefully while applying hair relaxer at home.
Using Homemade Hair Relaxer
Hair relaxers contain chemicals that changes the structure of kinky curly hair to give you poker straight hair. No concoction that you make at home, using ingredients from your kitchen can give you the same results. The hair treatment mentioned below can help you to condition and moisturize your hair, making it shiny and less dry.
Heat half a cup of olive oil. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of any moisturizing hair conditioner to the warm olive oil. Mix it well. You can replace the olive oil with jojoba oil, coconut oil or almond oil to get similar results. Apply this mixture on your hair with your fingers. Make sure that you cover each and every strand of your hair well. The best way to do this is to divide your hair into small sections, and apply the warm oil. Leave the oil on your hair for around half an hour. Now, rinse the hair well with plenty of lukewarm water. Allow your hair to air dry. You would find your hair to be less frizzy and more shiny and moisturized.
Whether you treat your hair with hair relaxer at a salon or at home, you need to take proper care of your hair. The alternation in the natural structure of your hair makes it weak, and more prone to dryness, breakage and sun damage. So, you need to condition your hair regularly.