Profuse sweating, exposure to bacteria, viruses, and chemicals in the air due to pollution, over exposure to sunlight or humid climatic conditions, are some of the major causes for scalp folliculitis. Even injury of any kind to the scalp, or skin diseases like dermatitis and eczema can cause pustules on the scalp.
Scalp folliculitis is a skin problem that causes irritation of the skin due to appearance of pimples on the scalp, especially on the forehead. Staphylococcus bacteria gives rise to pustules on the scalp. People with some other diseases like diabetes, or who are undergoing treatment for cancer are also somewhat susceptible to the condition.
A hair follicle is basically a part of skin from where the hair grows. Inflammation to this part causes pimple like formation surrounding the skin region of the hair. In severe cases, the pimple might be filled with pus like yellow colored substance.
Scalp Folliculitis Treatment: A Brief Introduction
The common signs of formation of folliculitis is appearance of small yellow colored pustules/bumps on the scalp skin surface. In severe cases these pustules are filled with pus and thus cause itching of the scalp. Oily scalp is comparatively much susceptible to scalp folliculitis than a normal one.
Scalp folliculitis generally cures on its own with time, by following proper hair care regimen, that includes use of a good antibacterial or anti-dandruff shampoo. Other ways to cure this condition is the use of antibiotics, medications, hair creams, lotions, etc.
There are innumerable shampoos in the market that advertise giving best results. So choosing the right shampoo for treatment is a difficult task. As was said earlier, either anti-dandruff shampoos or antibacterial or antifungal shampoos can be used for healing scalp folliculitis up to a certain extent. Also, there is no single best shampoo for the treatment of this condition; there are many effective products in the market.
Best Hair Products for Treatment
For treating scalp folliculitis, you should look for a shampoo that has selinium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, or salicylic acid as one of the chief ingredients. Antifungal shampoos containing ketoconazole or ciclopirox are also helpful to some extent. Presented below is the list of the best hair products for treating scalp folliculitis. The prices for these shampoos vary as per region and your mode of buying.
- Clear Poreformance Antibacterial shampoo is an effective choice for scalp treatment, especially treating scalp folliculitis.
- Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, Moisturizing Treatment shampoo has selinium sulfide as its chief ingredient, and is very effective in treating this hair condition.
- Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength Dandruff Shampoo is a very good product for a clear scalp. It can be used by people troubled by scalp folliculitis.
- Watson Pharma Selenium Sulfide Anti Dandruff Shampoo is helpful in treating scalp problems like itching and flakiness of skin along with treating dandruff, and is moderately priced.
- Pantene Pro-V Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner is also helpful in treating this condition up to some extent.
- Walgreens Menthol Medicated Dandruff Shampoo is another proven product to mitigate scalp folliculitis.
- Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Moisturizing Shampoo comes with a conditioner and is another effective product for scalp folliculitis.
- Selsun Blue Salon Pyrithione Zinc 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo contains zinc pyrithione as one of the ingredients and is very effective.
So, you can use these shampoos to counter the irritation. These shampoos, if properly used, can lessen the irritation to a huge extent. You can choose one good shampoo from a variety of anti-dandruff and antibacterial shampoos. For best results, you should follow all the guidelines properly, and at the end, should rinse the shampoo thoroughly.
For severe cases of scalp folliculitis, shampoo alone won't help and you should consult a dermatologist. Laser treatment is one of the options to treat severe damage to the hair follicles. To prevent the recurrence of the condition, you should follow a proper hair care regimen.