The process of hair weaving refers to the technique of adding real or synthetic hair into one's natural hair. You can either have all your natural hair covered with hair pieces or have them interlaced to your natural hair. There are two ways of adding a hair weave. Synthetic or human hair pieces can either be added to one's natural hair by using special needles and threads, or the hair pieces can be glued over the natural hair using a special hair glue. If you have been thinking about getting hair extensions, make sure that you religiously follow weave hair care instructions.
How to Care for a Hair Weave
These days, many women are opting for weave hairstyles to get a perfect makeover. However, to get a natural looking hair weave, make sure that you go for a hair type that goes well with the texture of your hair. The instructions that need to be followed to keep your hair in a good condition might vary, depending on the application and bonding method. You can either use the single strand method or have wefts attached to your natural hair by applying glue. These can also be attached using heat fusion or can be sown into your hair. Here are some tips on caring for your hair extensions.
- You need to realize that you have to take care of your natural hair as well as hair extensions. Make sure that you shampoo your hair at least once a week, so that your hair doesn't turn oily or greasy. Use a mild, good quality shampoo. If possible, look for a shampoo with a pH of less than 7.
- Before you shampoo your hair, comb them gently with a soft-toothed hair brush to remove any tangles. You must never use a small-toothed comb. You could use a looper brush. If you have glue-in extensions, you must comb them in the direction in which they have been glued.
- Moisturize your hair using a good hair conditioner. It is very essential that you use the best quality hair care products.
- In case of a bonded weave, you must be careful while applying oil. Excessive oiling can loosen the hairpieces, which is why light application of oil is recommended.
- Using blow dryer or curling iron on the hair weave can make your hair dry and brittle. So, use them sparingly. If you are using a dryer, set it on low heat and speed. Excessive use of chemicals and hair dyes and exposure to direct heat can cause damage to the hair pieces.
- When going for a swim, make sure that you cover your hair. This is to protect your hair from chlorine.
- Tie your hair loosely at the back and cover them at night. Tie a scarf around your hair firmly so that the hair pieces stay intact.
- If you feel that your hair pieces seem to be slipping out, contact your hairstylist soon.
Caring for hair weaves is not that difficult. So, don't hesitate in getting them. Follow the aforementioned instructions to keep your hair in a good condition.