In case you notice white flakes of skin on your scalp and shoulder, most probably you have a dandruff problem. And don't feel bad, because you are not alone and, there are a plethora of treatment options. Called pityriasis capitis in medical terms, these white flakes are due to the natural phenomenon of skin renewal, while shedding the old one. In some individuals, the process occurs on a much faster rate, making flakes of skin evident on the scalp. In some, irregular shampooing is the leading cause. In this article, you will learn the usage of vinegar for dandruff.
Other skin conditions, like very dry skin, eczema, itchy scalp, malassezia (yeast infection), and psoriasis can also cause a scaly scalp and dandruff symptoms. Very often, it is related to hair loss. This is because an individual with this problem tends to scratch the scalp frequently, which at times, leads to uprooting of the hair from the follicles. With correct hair care and natural remedies, scaling of the scalp can be treated. One such effective remedy is applying the diluted form of vinegar on the scalp, which helps restore the acid-base balance in the scalp.
Dandruff and Vinegar
Dandruff is a chronic condition, which should be treated promptly. And more importantly, you need to be consistent in following any kind of treatment method. Otherwise, positive results are doubtful. You can find several brands of shampoos in beauty stores, which are formulated with antifungal derivatives for curing dandruff. These shampoos are relatively strong and may cause scalp irritation. Also, the results may vary for different people.
A more effectual home remedy is using apple cider vinegar. Being an acidic solution, it helps in treating scalp infections (if any), which might be a leading cause of the dead skin and scales on the scalp. For those with malassezia, it kills the yeast. Many people are also of the opinion that it adds shine and luster to the hair, making them look more vibrant and healthy.
How to Apply?
Applying vinegar is as simple as oiling the scalp. But, it is to be kept in mind that using it alone is not the solution. You need to make healthy lifestyle changes and shampoo your hair regularly. Refer to the following tips.
- Use a mild shampoo to regularly wash your hair and keep the scalp clean.
- Make a dilute solution by mixing one part of apple cider vinegar with two parts of warm water.
- Before using it on the scalp, conduct a skin allergy test by rubbing the solution in the hand.
- If nothing happens, pour the diluted solution in a spray bottle, and apply it gently to the scalp.
- As the product is in a diluted form, you can retain the solution till your next head bath.
- Repeat the procedure once or twice every week.
- Leave the solution only for 15 minutes, and rinse scalp thoroughly with cold water. Follow this step once to twice a week.
Disclaimer: This HairGlamourista article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.