Thinning hair is a common problem, and a big worry, faced by both men and women. It is caused by several environmental, lifestyle and health factors. It is normal to lose about 50 to 100 hair strands a day. However, if you feel you are losing more, or have discovered certain bald patches on your scalp, you have a genuine cause for worry. You can test if your hair is thinning, by gently tugging on about 15 to 20 strands of hair. If you lose more than 6 hair strands in this process, you may be facing a problem. However, hair loss and thinning hair have different treatment solutions.
The causes of thinning hair can be categorized as follows:
- Genetic factors
- Hormonal changes
- Poor blood circulation to the scalp
- Severe dandruff
- Harsh chemicals in hair care products
- Harsh treatment procedures, like chemotherapy
A few changes in your lifestyle, along with some natural remedies, can go a long way in providing the right treatment for thinning hair.
Remedies from the Kitchen
With these ingredients found in your own kitchen, thinning hair solutions could not get any simpler. Ensure that you continue these measures until you notice significant changes in hair growth, and reduction of bald patches. Natural remedies take longer to work, but they also have a lasting effect as compared to other remedies.
- Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, honey and warm olive oil. Apply it on the scalp and hair, and leave for at least 15 minutes before the shower. Rinse it off thoroughly and follow with a mild shampoo.
- Mix aloe vera gel and triphala powder, and apply it on the hair. You will have to be patient with this treatment, as it will take about three to four months to show results.
- Apply almond oil or coconut oil on the hair. Make a paste of ground fenugreek seeds and water. Apply this paste on the oiled scalp, and let it remain for an hour, before you wash the hair. Follow this procedure daily for one month.
- Heat 250 gram of mustard oil with 100 gram of henna leaves. Once it gets cool, fill the oil in a bottle. Apply it on the scalp thrice a week, to stimulate hair growth.
- To prevent hair from thinning, apply castor oil regularly. Another effective way is to apply the juice of coriander leaves, or coconut milk on the scalp, daily.
- Combine one egg, two and half tablespoons of milk powder, and one tablespoon of wheat germ oil. Massage it on the scalp, and let it be on the scalp for say about 30 minutes. Wash it off using a mild shampoo.
- On the bald patches, apply a paste of lemon seeds and black pepper thoroughly. Continue the process until you notice significant changes.
One of the most important hair thinning solutions is following the right diet. Nutrition plays a very important role in enhancing hair growth, and also affects the quality of the hair, making it more thick and lustrous.
- For quick hair growth, consume fresh juice made of spinach, coriander leaves, and alfalfa, on a daily basis.
- Drink a teaspoon of cider vinegar dissolved in a glass of water, with every meal, for two to three weeks.
- Drink the juice of lettuce and spinach to increase hair growth. Consume 500ml of this juice daily.
- Consume fresh juice made of lettuce, capsicum, carrots and alfalfa. This juice provides the nutrients that contribute to good hair growth.
- Intake of omega-3 essential fatty acids is good for thinning hair. You may consume walnuts, flaxseed, and fish such as salmon; or take fish oil supplements.
Other Simple Remedies
- As mentioned before, one of the reasons for thinning hair is poor blood circulation to the scalp. In order to improve this, try to lie down at a slant, for about 15 to 20 minutes daily. A daily scalp massage, especially on the bald patches, will stimulate circulation and result in hair growth.
- Another cause mentioned above is the use of harsh chemicals in shampoos and other hair products. It is important to identify the right products for your hair and scalp type. In such a case, mild shampoos are safe to keep your hair from thinning further. Try to use shampoos that contain natural ingredients and those with pH balanced formulas for effective hair care.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.