Covering Gray Hair
Use either demi-permanent or permanent dye to fully cover and camouflage gray hair. Avoid using semi-permanent dye as it will only stain gray hair, and will wash out much quicker.
Many women have misconceptions about dyeing their hair. It's a myth that your hair will become dry and brittle after coloring it. Of course, you shouldn't use a strong colorant or over-process your hair. Also, dyeing hair will not result into permanent hair loss.
When you think about strawberry blonde hair color, what comes to your mind? At some point, many Hollywood actresses have adopted this shade to enhance their hair colors―Jessica Chastain, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, and Blake Lively (to name a few). It's a gorgeous color that can amazing on anyone. So, why should you be left behind? If you're willing to experiment with this hue, and change your current hair color, now's the time.
How to Get Strawberry Blonde Hair
Anyone, and we do mean anyone can carry this hair color. Even though, many haircolorist advice women with light skin tone to opt for a strawberry blonde hue, we do not agree with it. The only thing is, depending on your natural hair color, the results will vary drastically. Technically, women with naturally medium to dark blonde hair can really showcase this barely-there red-blonde hue.
To color your hair at home, you will require all the essential items necessary for the task. Make sure that you purchase the right color from a reputed brand. The items you will need are:
- Ammonia-free hair color
- Plastic bowl
- Wide-toothed comb
- Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner
Most brands provide protective gloves, conditioner, brush, and hair serum inside the box. For now, keep the shampoo, conditioner, and hair serum aside. Now, we will go over the procedure of applying the dye onto your hair.
- Follow a deep-conditioning treatment one week before you want to color your hair. If you can, extend this treatment process for 2 weeks as it will help in transforming the color quickly and safely.
- Make sure the treatment has protein in it as it won't damage or dry out your hair.
- Before beginning, read the instructions that is in the box. If there are any specific technique to be followed, do take it into consideration. Do an allergy test every time you dye your hair at home. If you have dark brown, brunette, or dark auburn hair, just applying the strawberry blonde color won't suffice. You will require one application of light brown, dark blonde, and strawberry blonde, respectively (all from the same brand).
- Straighten your hair and remove any tangles so that the dye is applied evenly.
- Wear an old t-shirt before you apply the color. Mix the color in a plastic container and mix it well with the brush.
- Follow the directions mentioned for the brand of hair color you're applying, and let the color sit as directed.
- Once the allotted time has passed, rinse your hair thoroughly to get the dye out. Apply the conditioner that came with the box as well.
How to Maintain the Color
Whether you color your hair, get a new haircut, or style it differently, proper maintenance is must.
- Always use shampoo and conditioner designed specifically for colored hair.
- Don't forget to use conditioner. And on a weekly basis, follow a deep-conditioning routine to keep the moisture in your hair.
- Try to stay out of the sun for as long as possible. If you have to, wear a scarf, hat, or take an umbrella.
- Don't go in the ocean or swimming pool as salt and chlorine, respectively, can make your hair dry, dull, and rough to touch.
- Use sun protection sprays that protect your color from UV rays.
- Refrain from using styling tools like hair dryer, curling iron, and straightening iron in between and after the applications as it will dry out your hair.
Even though we have a particular hair color in mind, often times the results aren't exactly how we expect it to be. Which is why, always consider the health of your hair, and seek advice from a professional haircolorist. And for extreme color transformation (brunette or brown hair to strawberry blonde), do consult and visit the salon for a professional job.