Shampoo's basic function is to clean hair and scalp, but that doesn't validate the inclusion of harsh chemicals as Sodium Laureth Sulfate as detergent and foaming ingredients!
To purchase shampoos, many go by the brand, price, novelty ingredients (where it is mentioned, that the shampoo has Aloe Vera extracts and protein serum to repair damaged hair) and often do not check ALL the ingredients. It is this customer tendency that spur manufacturers to use cheap and harmful cleaning and foaming agents like SLS in hair care products!
Top Shampoo Brands Without SLS
The following list contains some of the best shampoo brands whose products come free of SLS. Most of these brands are available at all leading retail as well as online stores. Check these out and I'm sure you'll find one that suits your hair type the best!
- Tara Smith
- Optima Australian Tea Tree
- Organic Care Systems
- Dead Sea Natural Mineral Shampoo
- John Masters
- Kiss My Face
- Aubrey Organics
- Desert Essence
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
- Nature Gate Organic Shampoo
- Real Purity
- Jason Shampoo
- Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo
- Avalon Organics
- Honey Moisturizing Shampoo from Body Shop
- Beecology Honey & Botanical Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- L'Oréal EverPure
- Blurt Bees Shampoo
- Lavera's Mango Milk Shampoo for Color Treated Hair
- Dove Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry and Damaged Hair
- Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo
- Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo
- Aloe Jojoba Shampoo
- Love, Peace, Planet range from TIGI
- Paves Prof
- Deva Curl Low Poo
- Hemp Seed and Caviar from Alterna
- ABBA True Curls
- Alfaparf's Splendore Hydrate
- Brocato Splassh
- Revival Daily-Use Shampoofrom ASK Cosmetics
- Fragile Color Safe from J Beverly Hills
- SEXY HAIR
- Dead Sea Natural Mineral Shampoo
- Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Frizz Control Shampoo
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
- L'Oréal Everstrong Sulfate-Free range
- Burt's Bees Baby Bee Tear Free Shampoo And Wash
These are some notable brands of shampoos that are without SLS. Besides damaging hair, SLS has other adverse effects.
Harmful Effects of SLS
Some dangers of using SLS spiked cosmetic and toiletry products:
SLS is a major irritant, similar to most detergents. People are known to have shown adverse reactions to SLS in the form of burning sensation in eyes and skin irritations. It has been proven by research that although many people are immune to its irritant properties, extended exposure can give rise to symptoms of SLS irritation in them.
Certain products having SLS and SLES (sodium lauryl ether sulfate) as their ingredients are also known to contain small quantities of 1,4-dioxane, which is a known carcinogen. This means, long-term use of SLS based products may increase risk of skin cancer!
Some recent studies have also proven that SLS is capable of penetrating the skin by application alone, which makes its inclusion as a cosmetic ingredient a major cause for concern! If ingested or exposed to it for long times, SLS can disrupt the body's hormonal balance and is also capable of causing gastrointestinal disorders!
Your hair is your crowning glory! All it asks for in return of it making you look great is to be cleaned and cared for! Opt for SLS-free shampoo brands for hair care to avoid the unnecessary package of adverse side effects of harsh chemicals and detergents!
Your hair doesn't need the violence of chemicals to look its shiny best! Such an effect can be tenderly and more effectively achieved by mild, organic shampoos which give your hair the boons of shine and glory!