Don't we get hopelessly jealous when we see those models flaunting their extra shiny hair? Some lucky models have such shiny hair that it could blind other people. Most of us think that lustrous hair is a dream which comes true only when you get a chance to be a model for such ads! But it is not so, model or no model, every girl can get beautiful Rapunzel-like hair, with a little bit of regular hair care and some tricks and tips for shiny hair. If you wish to have shiny hair, first you must have healthy hair. Only healthy hair can look shiny. Extremely dry and brittle hair won't look shiny, whatever you try to do. So first let's take a look at some tips for healthy hair.
Tips for Healthy and Shiny Hair
Healthy diet is the first step towards healthy hair. As with our body, our hair also needs nutrients to remain healthy. Intake of vitamin E, proteins, and Omega-3 acids contribute to healthy hair. So include fish, almonds, avocados, green veggies etc, in your diet. These food items contain the above nutrients. Along with food, water is also of utmost importance. Water saves the hair from getting dehydrated.
Conditioner is very important for keeping your hair healthy. Apply a good conditioner after every shampoo wash. Do not wash your hair immediately after applying conditioner but keep it on for about 3 to 5 minutes and then rinse. You can use natural conditioners like eggs and avocados instead of conditioners containing chemicals.
Do not use too many styling products as they can damage your hair. Unless your hair is very oily, do not wash it every day. For thick hair, washing every third day is enough. Do not rub your hair roughly when they are soaking wet, just gently pat and blot the hair. Wet hair is frail and so tends to break easily. Most hair care products have a high chemical content and, therefore, it is a good idea to take a look at the ingredients in the product before buying it.
Some More Tips for Shiny Hair
- Strawberry mask is the best way to get shiny hair. For a strawberry hair mask, crush 10 strawberries and mix with 1 tsp of mayonnaise in a bowl. Massage the hair with this solution and leave it covered with a towel for about half an hour. After half an hour, wash it off with your regular shampoo.
- Hot oil treatments are also important for shiny hair, as it can repair the damage done to hair and also strengthen hair. Instead of just plain hot oil, you can try this hot oil recipe. Mix 1 tsp honey, 2 tsp vitamin E oil, 10 drops of geranium oil, 10 drops of sandalwood oil, 10 drops of lavender oil in two cups of sunflower or cold pressed olive oil. Put this mix in a plastic bag. Now boil around 3 cups of water in a vessel and put the plastic bag of oil in the hot water. Leave it till the oil becomes warm. Once warm, massage your hair with the oil and wash after 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.
- An avocado mask will also help the hair to shine. To prepare this hair mask from avocado, mix 2 eggs to a whole pulped avocado and apply this mixture to your head. Keep it covered with a damp hot towel. Leave it for about 2 to 3 hours and then wash your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
- For blond hair, add a few tsp of lemon juice to the water that you wash your hair with. For red or brown hair, add 2-3 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the water.
- Brushing your hair with a good brush is also as important as any styling product. Use a boar bristles brush, as it reaches the roots of the hair and removes any clumps of dirt residing in the hair. Brushing also helps to bring out the natural oils of hair and makes the hair shine.
- Commercial gels also work very well to bring instant shine, but do not use them too often. Natural hair care tips are the best as they do not have any harmful effects.
These were some tips that you can use if you want your hair to be shiny, resplendent, and more importantly healthy.