Semi-permanent hair dye contains small molecules; they are relatively smaller than molecules found in regular dyes. The color lasts for 5 shampoo sessions. The dye contains low quantities of peroxide and ammonia, and is therefore a recommended option for delicate or damaged hair.
Semi-permanent colors add pigment to the hair without affecting the natural melanin present in the strands. These products also penetrate the hair shaft, but cause minimal damage. The dye can change the color of your hair and even brighten your natural hair color. It is recommended to pick one or two shades lighter than your natural color. If you go for a deeper shade than your natural color, you cause more damage to your tresses.
- Understand the condition of your hair before applying a coloring product. Do not apply semi-permanent dye if your scalp is damaged or itchy.
- There are a number of dye brands available in the market. Read all the instructions very carefully before buying one.
- Wear protective rubber gloves while applying the dye. Hair experts also recommend doing a strand test to make sure your scalp doesn't suffer from any allergic reactions. Keep your hair free of oils and gels before applying any coloring product.
- Divide your hair into sections and start applying the dye from the roots to the tips. Part your hair in three sections to make sure that all the dye has been applied evenly on your hair.
- Comb your hair with a wide toothed comb, and wear a plastic cap to cover your head.
- After waiting for the specified time, wash your hair thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Dry your hair with a blow dryer or a towel, and style as desired. Flaunt your new hair color in style.
Cosmetic products used for removing dye can be easily found at drug stores. However, natural methods of removal will be gentler on your hair.
- Hot water can be used to remove the dye. Try scrubbing your hair with baking soda; it causes the dye to fade away quickly.
- Try washing your hair a few times with hot water. Hot oil treatments will help the color fade away gradually.
- Apply lemon juice or vinegar and leave it on your scalp for 10 minutes. Shower with hot water.
- If you are not going for oil treatments then you can also treat your scalp with extra hot virgin oil. Be careful while applying this oil, don't burn yourself.