Scalp acne is one of the many different types of acne or pimple and is a troublesome condition that affects people all over the world. It is characterized by clogging of the skin pores and inflammation of sebaceous glands and scalp hair follicles.
The dermatologists refer to a mild form of the scalp acne by using the term, scalp folliculitis. On the other hand, the term acne necrotica miliaris is used to refer to the more severe form of pimples on the scalp. Acne varioliformis or acne frontalis are alternative terms that a dermatologist may also use to describe acne necrotica miliaris.
Causes of Scalp Pimples
In physical appearance, the pimple on the scalp are similar to any other type of acne and typically appear as small pustules throughout the scalp. These are most prominent in front of the hairline and are easily visible to others. An individual struck with this problem starts worrying and this unhealthy appearance causes him to feel inferior. Itchy scalp and skin irritation are some more signs of this condition. Scratching the skin further worsens the problem and gives the pimples a crusty look, which appears very unhealthy and becomes extremely painful.
Acne necrotica miliaris is characterized by large follicular papules which, on scratching, may leave lasting pox-like scars. Acne necrotica may also invade other areas such as face or neck. Here are some causes of this condition:
- This type of acne is also referred to as propionibacterium acne folliculitis. It is believed that the inflammation felt is due to the infection of bacteria named as propionibacterium acnes.
- The severe form may also occur in response to the infection by staphylococcus aureus micro-organism.
- Yeast infection, if it is due to the micro-organisms grouped under the Malassezia species, may also form a cause.
- Demodex folliculorum, a form of mite, is also found to induce this condition.
- One of the causes of this condition is poor hygiene conditions such as unwashed hair.
- Inadequate diet or nourishment.
- The level of stress experienced by a person, can be a subordinate cause of scalp pimples.
- Heredity plays an important role in this condition. If one's parents, either or both, have a history of acne, then one is likely to get them.
- Teenagers are most susceptible to acne and scalp pimple, due to hormonal imbalance during puberty they experience this condition.
- It is not easy for everyone to adjust to the seasonal changes.
- Toxicity of the drugs such as steroids can result in an individual getting affected by this condition.
- Sensitivity or food allergies that are caused by the caffeine-laced drinks or beverages.
- The chemicals present in certain spices can give one a bout of these acne.
This is not a life-threatening condition, however, it does have the potential to place one in an embarrassing situation, where one would not be able to resist the urge of scratching at them, while attending a public gathering or any important event.
Sratching the body parts, even if it's one's scalp, is frowned upon and is considered a sign of a skin problem which scalp acne definitely is. The people, who witness it, would not be too keen to shake a hand with the affected person due to it. It is vital to take proper counteraction to neutralize these causes and as soon as possible take steps to eradicate it completely.
One can do so by visiting a dermatologist and letting him handle the whole situation at the professional level. He/she may prescribe antibiotic for acne treatment and thus, help in getting rid of this condition. One should not wait for the acne to affect them, it is far better to take steps to prevent this condition. A change in diet, adopting better hygienic methods for hair care, and by using shampoo (antifungal) might prove beneficial.
Disclaimer: This HairGlamourista article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.