Olive oil has been used throughout the centuries for many purposes. This oil, which is extracted from the fruits of olive tree, is well-known for its therapeutic, cosmetic and culinary uses. Medicinal uses of this oil include its ability to control cholesterol and diseases like gastritis and ulcers.
Olive oil uses are not restricted to medicinal and culinary ones only. This oil is also beneficial for hydrating and softening the skin and for making the hair stronger and healthier. How can you make use of olive oil for the wellness of your hair? Let us find out!
Olive Oil and Hair Care
It is believed that the ancient Egyptians were the ones, who started using olive oil for cosmetic purposes. For them, this oil uses included skin care as well as hair care. It is good for hair in many ways.
Olive oil hair treatments can make the hair stronger, healthy and manageable. It can also help keep your scalp clean. The best part of this hair treatment is that this oil is one of the easily available household material. Moreover, you can do the treatment on your own.
Olive Oil Hair Treatment
This oil is a rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant vitamin E, which can moisturize and nourish hair. Always try to use the best quality olive oil for better results. Cold-pressed extra virgin version is considered the best, as the process of extraction of this oil (cold pressing) helps to retain the vitamins and minerals in it.
- Take the required amount of olive oil in a bowl. If the oil is stored in the refrigerator, keep the bowl (with oil) outside for a while to bring the oil to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, you have to get ready for the oil treatment. It is better to wear some old clothes, as oil spots can ruin clothes. Or else, you can wrap a towel around, to protect the clothes.
- Brush your hair and part it with a comb. Heat the oil for around 15 to 20 seconds or till it gets lukewarm. Apply the oil on your hair with your fingertips. Make sure that you are not using your nails for the task.
- Dip the fingertips in the bowl and gently massage the scalp, through the parting.
- Now make a new parting at a distance of about one inch from the first one and repeat the massaging process.
- Repeat this until the entire scalp is covered. You have to apply some oil on the hair too.
- After the oiling process is over, cover the head with a hot towel, in order to keep it warm, so that the oil can be absorbed well.
- Keep your head covered for about 30 minutes to one hour. Then, unwrap the cover and wash your hair with a mild shampoo. As the hair is oily, you may need more amount of shampoo than you normally use.
- For better results, steam your hair, before washing it. This is beneficial for preventing dandruff. You may also apply a conditioner after washing the hair.
Once the hair is dry, you will be able to feel the difference. It will be more smooth, silky and shiny and also easy to manage. Olive oil hair treatment can offer good results, provided you repeat it once every week.
Some people add a few drops (around five drops will do) of essential oil like lavender oil, rosemary oil or frankincense essential oil, to the olive oil that is meant for hair massage.
In some regions, apple cider vinegar is used to rinse the hair, after the olive oil hair treatment. You may find numerous other variations of hair treatment with olive oil. Choose the one that is best suited for you.