Many African-Americans have nappy hair that is thick and bushy. Styling it on a daily basis can be troublesome. Chemically treated hair may look beautiful, but it is certainly not natural or healthy. Changing your natural hair texture by using flat irons, hot combs, and chemical-based treatments can cause long-term damage; it ruins your hair's texture and makes it drier than it actually is.
This kind of hair needs to be maintained regularly to keep it healthy and damage-free. Taking care of your hair is not a very tedious task and can be done easily if regularity is maintained. Let us take a look at some hair care methods.
Given below are some tips that will allow you to flaunt your natural hair, with style and confidence.
- Once you have decided to keep your hair natural, avoid using excessive hair care products on it. Buy only essential products such as, a moisturizing shampoo, hair oil, leave-in serum, and conditioner.
- Remember, nappy hair is naturally dry, so avoid washing it frequently with a strong shampoo. Many experts suggest that hair needs to be washed at least twice or thrice a week, but that advice is not meant for nappy hair. Frequent washing will make the hair even more dry. So, washing it only once a week is enough.
- You can go for deep conditioning after a hair wash. You can also use a leave-in conditioner after washing your hair. As far as conditioning is concerned, you may want to use a herbal or natural conditioner, such as aloe vera gel or lemon extract.
- Oiling your hair regularly is also essential if you wish to soften your nappy hair naturally. Make sure to oil your hair before washing it. Massage your hair and scalp with warm hair oil and leave it on, overnight. Wash your hair the next day with a mild moisturizing shampoo.
- You can try various nappy hairstyles on a daily basis to keep your hair well managed. Open hair is vulnerable to tangles and may collect dirt easily. Hence, it is advisable that you keep your hair braided on a daily basis. You can also opt for cornrows and dreadlocks for a different look. If you wish to keep your hair loose, then make sure to moisturize it frequently. Instead of having long hair, you can go for short hair which is very easy to manage.
- Another important tip is to never go to bed with your hair open. Always tie your hair before sleeping, to avoid tangles when you wake up. Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb, apply a little oil, and braid it before going to sleep. This practice will not only avoid tangles, but will also promote hair growth.
- The most important hair tip is to follow a good diet. It will keep your hair and body healthy. Consume lots of fruits and vegetables that will provide your body with essential nutrients. Also, consume a protein-rich diet that will keep your hair healthy.