Curly hair is extremely difficult to manage and needs a lot of maintenance. Moreover, it gets easily messed up and can mar your beautiful appearance. Not only women, but many men too try straightening their curly locks to beautify their looks. Many a time, straightening is done to have a change in the daily appearance if it is a special occasion. It is always good to try this look once before you opt for permanent straightening.
Using a Flat Iron
You are using an electronic appliance on your delicate hair, so remember to take extra care. It is always a good idea to invest in a good quality flat iron that will give you the best results without causing any damage to your hair. The procedure given below is also good to straighten permed hair.
- Shampoo your hair to remove any oil or dust from it. Use a good conditioner after shampooing and wash it off thoroughly after a few minutes.
- Dry your hair properly and naturally. Check whether they are dry at the roots as well before you start with the straightening process, as wet hair won't give you the desired results.
- Brush your hair neatly to get rid of the tangles. Apply a heat protection product to keep them from any damage due to the hot iron.
- Take a small section of hair of a width less than that of the iron and secure the rest of the hair with the help of claw clips. Always start from the nape and proceed upwards.
- Hold the open iron close to the roots and take the section of hair in it, close it, and then slide it through the length of the hair. Apply equal pressure over the iron while sliding.
- Follow the above step on each section to cover the entire mass of your hair. Once all the sections are covered, just brush them together with a fine-toothed comb. You can see the gorgeous straight and shiny hair.
Unless your hair is shoulder-length, you need to opt for a ceramic-plated straightening iron which is about 1-2 inches wide. A fine-toothed comb is best to be used. Hold the comb in one hand and the iron in the other. Take a small section of your hair with the comb. Follow by clamping the straightening iron at the roots and pulling it down the hair shafts towards the tips. Remember that the direction in which you pull the iron is the direction your hair will set. This becomes more important when you work on the top layers, as it will affect the entire style. In general, you can pull the top layers straight up into the air, i.e., vertical from your scalp, or in a direction towards your nose so that they lay in a front direction when released from the iron.
Straighten Hair Permanently
Hair is treated with chemicals in this process, where the results vary from person to person. The duration for which this will last depends on the texture of hair and the aftercare. Even though you go for permanent straightening, the hair keeps growing which is of the natural texture and this hair needs touch ups. Chemical hair straightening kits available in the market can be bought. Follow the steps mentioned below to have those beautiful straight locks.
- Clean your hair by shampooing the right way, followed by conditioning.
- Follow the kit instruction leaflet to mix the chemicals. The proportions may vary from brand to brand.
- Place a thick towel around your neck in order to avoid any skin irritation.
- Make sections of your hair and start application of the straightening cream with a brush on the lowest section. Keep the rest of the hair tied above while you work over one part. Starting from the nape, work towards the crown.
- Apply the cream thoroughly from the roots to the tips. Cover the sections properly from inner and outer side with the cream.
- Comb the section straight downwards with a plain comb. Be fast while you do this process, as you have to comb the entire hair together when all sections are covered. Remember that the hair will start becoming hard due to the chemicals as the time passes.
- Once you are done with the application of cream, comb it straight downwards. Keep combing for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water. You need to make sure that no cream is left in the tangles.
- Towel dry the hair and apply the neutralizing cream all over it, and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Now, rinse your hair to remove the cream with lukewarm water. Apply a conditioner over your hair and rinse it off after 4-5 minutes. The procedure is over and beautiful hair is just over your crown.
Straighten Hair Naturally
If you wish to have straight hair without damaging it, here's the answer to it. But, remember that these procedures need to be repeated several times. From the first time of using one of these techniques, you will definitely experience a drastic change in the texture of your hair, as they'll be more soft, shiny, and less frizzy than before.
Wash and dry your hair before the process. Pour one cup of milk into a spray bottle, and spray it thoroughly over your hair. Comb through your curls and leave it over for an hour. Wash off with shampoo, followed by conditioning as usual. You will find that your hair has become silky and straighter than before.
- Hot Oil:
You must have heard how beneficial hot oil treatment is for dry hair. It is one of the best products that moisturizes your dry tresses. To give a hot oil treatment to your hair, take some of your regular hair oil and heat it. Massage your scalp with this hot oil gently. Apply this over the entire length of your hair. Wrap your head with a hot towel and leave it for 15 minutes. Now, wash your hair with a mild shampoo, followed by a conditioner. Your hair will be silky, well moisturized, and straight.
- Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk is very effective in controlling curly hair. Apply coconut milk on your mane and leave it on for about an hour. Wash your hair thoroughly with a shampoo and let it dry naturally. You will see your hair is less curly and extremely shiny as well.