Greasy hair is the term used to denote flat, limp hair, that clumps together in a stringy fashion, even after washing with shampoo. It may appear as if you have not washed the hair for long. Such hair may also look dull, lifeless, and unclean.
Shampooing is touted as the most effective method to control greasy hair. Those with greasy hair use shampoos that are specially formulated for controlling oil. While some people suggest frequent shampooing, others refrain from washing hair, as it is said to worsen the condition. You may try both the methods, and adopt the one that is best suited for your hair. Another point to be noted is that if your scalp is greasy and the hair is dry, then use such oil control shampoo on the scalp only. Your hair needs a shampoo that is meant for dry hair. If you want to avoid washing hair frequently, then go for a dry shampoo, in between.
- If you want to prevent greasy hair, avoid washing hair in hot water. You may either use lukewarm water or cold water.
- Avoid tying wet hair, and going to bed with wet hair. This makes the hair flat, greasy, and limp. Even the pillow case can get greasy with constant use, and transfer the oil to the hair. So change them more often.
- If you are a person with oily hair, then avoid running the fingers through the tresses. This can make the hair greasy and flat.
- You must also stop frequent brushing of hair, as this stimulates the hair follicles to produce more oil. Even vigorous scrubbing of the scalp may lead to this hair condition.
- Those with greasy hair must avoid haircuts with bangs over the forehead. Touch with skin can make the condition worse for your hair.
- Some people recommend avoidance of oily food, so as to prevent greasy hair, but there is no conclusive evidence to prove the link between the two. Increasing water intake may also prove beneficial.
- Rinsing hair using beer, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice, may also work wonders. Try brushing hair in the direction, that is opposite to its growth.
- Combating stress plays a major role in keeping a check on your hormones, and this may also be useful to prevent greasy hair. Use of birth control pills may also affect the hormone levels, thereby making the hair greasy.
In short, greasy hair can be problematic, if not cared for, in the right manner. Apart from trying the above said remedies, you may also try a hairstyle that adds volume to your hair. It is always better to avoid long hair that is kept in one length. Avoid oily hair products, at least on the scalp. So, there is no point in cursing greasy hair, and doing nothing to remedy the condition.
Why Hair Gets Greasy?
Hair can be classified as oily and dry. While dry and brittle hair has its own share of problems, greasy hair too is not so great, as far as hair styling is concerned. Why do some people have greasy hair? It is because of their overactive sebaceous glands that produce the oily sebum in large amounts. It is this sebum that makes the hair oily and greasy. Such hair attracts dust, and may get dull and limp too. While presence of more hair follicles is a cause of greasy hair in some people, hormonal changes during puberty and menopause, is also cited as a reason.
Even heredity and hot weather can be responsible for greasy hair. It has been noticed that fine, straight hair is more likely to become greasy. Greasy hair can be of two types. One is greasy hair, along with a greasy scalp. Other is greasy scalp and roots, but dry hair. If the scalp is not oily, but the hair is greasy, then it could be due to use of certain hair care products.