Did you know that the machines used for perming hair during the early 1900s were these big monstrous machines, which had a lot of wires attached to it? Even though the technology has advanced, perming till date is a tedious process, but you can get it done at a salon. Perming your hair at a salon can take hours. Also, it is expensive and uses harsh chemicals. However, there are many easy ways to curl your hair at home, without having to use harsh any chemicals.
Curl Your Hair...
In this article look at different possible methods, which can make your hair really curly (or moderately curly, if that is what you want).
...with braids for kinky curls
- Before you try unnatural ways to make your hair curly, give it some natural curls using natural products to prevent your hair from any damage. Here is how you go about it.
- Wet your hair thoroughly with milk. Leave it on for about an hour.
- Milk softens and smooths the hair, and thus will help you have soft detangled curls.
- After an hour, wash your hair gently with cool water.
- Gently towel dry your hair. Then divide the hair in multiple sections.
- Separate each section of hair from others using a hair clip or a claw clip.
- Take one section and braid it. Secure the braid with a rubber band or a hair clip. Braid all the sections of hair one by one.
- Leave the braids unopened for about 7-8 hours.
- If you have poker straight hair, it is recommended you braid your hair before bedtime.
- After completion of the given time period, or if you go to bed with braided hair, then in the morning, open the braids with your fingers.
- You will find your hair nice and curly. Use a wide-toothed comb to brush your hair. Your hair will stay curly until the next wash.
...with rollers for large curls
- You can also opt for the tried and tested method of using hair rollers.
- Wash, condition, rinse, and pat your hair dry.
- Next, separate your hair into multiple sections (the number of sections will depend on the number of rollers you have).
- Starting from the ends, work your hair into the roller and move upwards towards your scalp.
- Once you reach the scalp, fasten the roller with the help of a bobby clip or a roller pin.
- Let the rollers remain for a few hours (ideally overnight). Once you open out the rollers, gently style your hair using your fingers to achieve those lovely curls that you were longing for.
- In case you do not have rollers, don't worry. You can still do without them.
- You will need someone to help you with this process so that you don't mess up.
- Firstly, divide your hair into multiple sections, then starting from the end of your hair strand roll your hair up towards the scalp without rollers.
- Once your reach the scalp ask your helper to quickly secure the curled strand using a bob pin, like in the picture.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the sections and achieve those lovely curls, without the rollers.
...using hair products for scrunched curly hair
- Scrunching gels and mousses are another extremely popular way of getting that curly look in just few minutes.
- Wash and condition your hair using curl-enhancing products.
- Now, towel dry your hair.
- While your hair is damp apply an anti-frizz serum throughout your hair.
- After the application of serum, bend over and let your hair hang towards the floor.
- Squeeze an small amount of mousse into your hand. With the mousse in your hand scrunch as much hair as you can.
- Using additional mousse (but just enough to coat your hair) make sure you cover all your hair in this procedure.
- After you spread it evenly, scrunch your hair again using both your hands for longer this time, by holding it in place for a few seconds.
- In case you have poker straight hair, this method might not help you to achieve really curly hair. However, you are sure to achieve that scrunched curly look, which definitely adds volume to your hair.
- Once you finish with the process, use a hair spray to keep it in shape and to give it some extra bounce.
...with twists for ringlet curls
- Towel dry your hair until it is barely damp. Apply some serum to control frizz and for silky, soft curls.
- Now, divide them into 3 vertical sections. Clip each section separately.
- Start with the first section, remove the clip to make small square sections.
- Hold the square section of hair, which should not be more than 1-inch thick, with your fingers.
- Go on twisting this section until it looks like a dreadlock like in the picture.
- While you continue twisting this square section, it will naturally curl towards your head.
- Twist this strand over itself, so that the twist forms a circle at your scalp. Use bob pins or hair clips to secure this twist in place.
- Continue this process on each of the small square sections.
- When you finish with the process, use a hair dryer over your pinned hair for a minute.
- It is preferable that you carry on this procedure at night. In the morning, remove the bob pins and run your fingers through your hair to style them. You can even use a wide-toothed comb to brush your hair.
...using a curling iron for long loose curls
- These days, one of the most popular ways to curl your hair is by using curling irons.
- If you wish to curl your straight hair within a few minutes, then a curling iron is what you need.
- Curling irons are a fast and a hassle-free way of getting curls. A good quality curling iron can curl your hair within few minutes.
- However, since a curling iron uses heat to curl your hair, you should be extremely careful while using it or else it may damage your hair.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before you start the curling procedure.
- Divide your hair into 2 vertical sections and tie up one side using a claw clip.
- Now, begin with your hair near the nape. Clamp the curling iron onto the tip of this section and tightly roll the barrel towards the roots.
- Hold the wound iron for a few minutes and then slowly release your hair.
- Follow the same procedure for the rest of your hair.
- Once you have worked on every section of your hair, just spray a little holding hair spray to keep the curls for a longer time.
...using a hair straightener for soft wavy curls
- Comb your hair to get rid of tangles, if any.
- Separate them into 2 vertical sections. Tie up one side using claw clip.
- Heat the hair straightener for a few minutes.
- Take a small section of your hair, about 1½ inch wide.
- Start with sections near the nape and proceed towards the top.
- Hold this section of hair near the end of the straightener. Open the iron and place it over this section of your hair.
- Now, wrap this section around the bottom plate of the straightener.
- Close the straightener to grip this section of your hair.
- Slide the straightener downwards, towards the tips and turn it outwards.
- Repeat the procedure to the rest of your hair.
- This procedure will give you soft wavy curls.
So all you lovely straight-haired ladies, if you're confused about how to make your hair curly, choose any of the above-mentioned options and don those curly locks within no time. If you have time in your hands, choose one of the natural methods. On the other hand, if it's a last-minute dinner date and thirty minutes is all you have, you could opt for hair products in order to make your hair curly as a neat quick-fix solution.