For treating unsightly blemishes like pimples or rejuvenating your skin's glow, you use a facial mask. The mask should be applied all over the face or just certain areas, left on for sometime and then washed off. Similarly one can use a mask for treating the hair. A hair mask is a thick mixture of various ingredients, that can be applied to the hair surface and/or the scalp. This restorative product can have multiple benefits and effects on hair, like giving it a glow or shine, making it soft or reducing dandruff and other hair infection problems.
Applying a hair mask used to be a luxury beauty ritual, reserved for exclusive spas and beauty salons but nowadays beauty product brands like Neutrogena, Herbal Essences and L'Oreal, to name a few, offer a hair mask mixture as part of their hair products range. But the best thing about hair masks is that they can be easily made at home, provided you have the right ingredients. One such homemade hair mask is an onion hair mask.
A hair mask with onion as the key ingredient, can restore the ability of regrowth to your hair. Thin scanty hair or repeated hair fall can be reduced greatly or stopped completely with the application of an onion mask. This type of mask also reduces dandruff and provides a nice, shiny and glossy look to the hair.
How to Make an Onion Mask for the Hair
For any onion hair mask recipe, a certain quantity of onion juice is required. To obtain onion juice from an onion, you can grate the onion and grind or mash the grated onion through a sheet of gauze, so that the juice is strained out. Instead of grating, you can cut the onion finely, blend it for sometime and then strain the blended mixture through a sieve cloth to obtain the juice.
Mask Recipe #1
- Obtain 1 onion's juice and mix it with olive oil or coconut oil in equal parts.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp slowly. Then apply the mixture over your hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap, so the mixture is not disturbed in any case.
- Leave the mixture on for 2 hours. Your scalp should be dry.
- Then take a shower and rinse away the mixture with shampoo. You may need to apply shampoo twice to get rid of the stickiness.
- Use this mask twice a month for best results.
Mask Recipe #2
- You will need the juice from 3 onions and some alum.
- Mix the crushed alum and onion juice well.
- Use a cotton pad to apply this mixture to the scalp.
- Comb your hair and wrap it in a towel.
- Leave the mixture on overnight. Then rinse your hair in the morning with hot water.
Mask Recipe #3
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sugar, 2-3 teaspoons of any alcoholic spirit and 3 teaspoons of onion juice.
- Add a little yeast and a few drops of water to this mix.
- Then mix all the ingredients well and apply the mixture to your hair.
- Leave it on your scalp for 45 minutes and then rinse the mixture off. Once again shampoo twice.
Mask Recipe #4
- 3 tablespoons of grated onion should be mixed with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Apply the mask to your scalp.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. Do not shampoo afterward.
- You will need 1 part brandy, 4 parts of onion juice and 6 parts of roots of burdock concoction.
- Mix these ingredients well.
- Apply it to your scalp. Leave it on for 2 hours and then rinse it off.
- This mask can be used 2-3 times a week.
Another onion-for-the-hair idea is to create your own onion shampoo. Add chopped pieces of onion to your shampoo. Let this shampoo mix stand for 15 days and then use the shampoo. An onion hair mask, unlike some other types of hair mask, makes use of an easily available ingredient (an onion) along with a few standard kitchen items. So it is convenient and cheap to make and use. So avoid the spa for treating your hair and create a hair mask using an onion for your next hair pampering day!