Dandruff is nothing but small, white flakes of dead skin of the scalp. Though it is a common problem, it should not be ignored as it can lead to severe scalp infections. There are many factors that are responsible for this, some of which are intrinsic like an improper diet, high level of stress, and hormonal disturbances. Others are external factors like dry atmospheric conditions, head lice, and use of wrong hair care products.
- Dry dandruff: White flakes fall off the scalp and cause a continuous itching sensation.
- Oily dandruff: Yellow-colored flakes tend to make the hair sticky. If this problem is aggravated, the scalp often gives out a foul smell.
Stated below are a few effective ways of how to get rid of dandruff.
To get rid of this scalp problem quickly, use the right kind of shampoo. The usage has to be different in case of each condition.
- In case of a mild dandruff problem, you should start treating your hair properly so that the problem does not become serious. Just twice-a-week application of the shampoos that are fit for frequent use on dry hair and scalp will be sufficient. Such shampoos contain moisturizers that help to keep the scalp hydrated and prevent formation of flakes on the scalp.
- In moderate cases, use of any normal anti-dandruff shampoo on a daily basis or every alternate day will suffice. To obtain the best results on applying the shampoo, keep the lather on the hair for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse it off with water thoroughly. Proper rinsing of the hair is a must. Otherwise, if any shampoo is left behind, it can worsen the problem further. When the problem decreases, you can go back to washing your hair just once or twice a week. This regime will help to maintain a healthy scalp for a long time to come.
- If you are affected by a severe dandruff occurrence, you have to use those shampoos which have medicinal content like ketoconazole and climbazole. These components will help to fight scalp infection. First, start using the shampoo on alternate days for the first one week. For the next 3-4 weeks, use it twice a week and then further reduce the frequency to once a week.
After rinsing your hair, dry it with the help of a towel and let the remaining moisture dry up naturally. Do not blow dry your hair. Take a brush with soft natural bristles and brush your scalp first. Then brush your hair in the outward direction so that the natural oils released by the scalp after shampooing get distributed evenly into the strands of hair. This helps the hair to keep its natural shine and healthy appearance. Otherwise, if the oil is allowed to settle on the scalp, it can lead to yeast infection.
Shampoos will help you to get rid of dandruff instantly. However, it has been observed that the problem tends to recur, once the shampoo treatment is stopped. Moreover, prolonged use of these shampoos may cause damage to the hair. Therefore, we suggest you some natural remedies which can prove to be permanent solutions without damaging your hair.
It is an excellent home remedy for dandruff. Add a few slices or peels of lemon into a cup of coconut oil, and keep this mixture in the sun for a week. Thus, you have prepared a mixture of lemon extract with coconut oil, which can be massaged into the scalp every day. Within a few days, you will find a fair amount of reduction in dandruff. After about 15 days, it shall have vanished completely.
First of all, you have to treat your hair with hot steam for around 10 minutes. Slightly heat half a cup of olive oil or coconut oil, and then massage the scalp gently with it. After this, cover up the hair with a soft towel for 30 minutes. Then, rinse off the hair with water which is at normal room temperature.
Many of us do not know that fenugreek seeds work wonders in curing dandruff. For this, soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in a small cup of water. The next morning, make a smooth paste out of these soaked seeds, and apply it on the entire scalp properly. Leave it on for an hour, and then wash it off with the help of a mild shampoo or soap-nut solution. Pour a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a mug of water, and use it as the last rinse for your hair. If you follow this hair care regime, you might enjoy dandruff-free weeks ahead.
You can also avoid dandruff totally if you follow a healthy balanced diet, take a good amount of sleep every day, and exercise regularly. Another thing that is very important for getting rid of it permanently is to keep your mind free of stress. It has been observed that this problem occurs more in adults and adolescents than in children. This is obvious, because children are always stress-free.
Disclaimer: This HairGlamourista article is solely for informative purpose and not intended to replace the advice of medical experts. In case the condition persists, visit a dermatologist immediately.