A flat iron is the answer, if you are trying to make your curly and frizzy hair, silky smooth. However, the inappropriate use of this hair straightener can severely damage your hair. So, here are some tips on how to use a flat iron for hair straightening.
Hair Straightening Tips
The basic instructions on how to use a flat iron are given below:
- Prior to straightening your hair, wash it properly with a mild shampoo. After shampooing, apply a good conditioner on your hair.
- Allow your hair to dry completely. Never use an iron on wet hair. If possible, avoid blow drying your hair.
- You can apply a straightening or soothing balm, or serum on your hair, if you want to reduce the workload of your flat iron.
- To protect your hair from the high heat generated by the iron, use a heat protectant spray. It can coat and condition your hair, so that the heat generated by the iron cannot cause much damage.
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove tangles. Comb thoroughly and as gently as possible.
- Now, part your hair into several manageable sections. If you work on a small section of hair each time, it can help you get perfectly smooth and straight hair. But if you take a thick section, you may end up overheating the outer layer of your hair, in an attempt to make it evenly straight. This in turn, can damage your hair.
- Before using the iron, try to find out the lowest temperature that can straighten your hair effectively. Usually, thick, coarse, and curly hair requires more heat, as compared to normal and fine hair.
- Now, take a small section of hair, hold it straight with one hand, and clamp the iron closer to the root of the hair. Then pull it down the length of the hair smoothly.
- While pulling down the iron, do not stop in the middle. If necessary, use the iron for the second time to straighten the section completely.
- Following the same steps, straighten the other sections of your hair. Once you are done with all the sections, use a narrow-toothed comb to smooth out the hair.
- Now, you can apply a serum gloss to add shine to your straightened hair.
How Frequently It Can be Used
The heat generated by a flat iron can no doubt give you silky straight hair, but it can damage your hair if used frequently. Therefore, it is very important to reduce the frequency of using this hair straightener. If your hair is normal and fine, then straightening it once a week will be sufficient. But if your tresses are thick and curly, then you might consider using it every two to three days, i.e., twice in a week. Always try to decrease the number of times you use this product in a week.
You have to take a lot of care to minimize the damage that these hair straighteners can cause. The frequent and prolonged use of flat irons can cause brittle and dry hair, and split ends. To protect your hair from such damage, use them sparingly. Do not go for the cheap flat irons. Instead, invest in a good quality iron with ceramic plates. Lastly, use deep conditioning hair masks to nourish your hair, and protect it from any damage that can be caused by the application of heat.