We all exfoliate our face, our hands, our feet, our neck..., but do you know how important it is to exfoliate your scalp? We all tend to get different hair care products which includes expensive shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, hair gels..., and the list goes on and on and on!!! But how many of us honestly take care of our scalp? Most of you would answer a 'NO' for this, and trust me, I don't blame you! Did you know that our scalp is one of the most neglected parts of our body? I hate to say this because our hair, which is the most treasured part of our personality, is rooted in the scalp, and it's sad that most of us never ever think of taking care of the scalp which holds the hair root itself! Neglecting your scalp can result in severe hair damage and premature hair loss. After all, it's the scalp that provides all the necessary nutrients to the hair root to make your hair more healthy, strong, and beautiful, isn't it? Therefore, start taking care of it, the first step towards which would be to exfoliate your scalp and clean the dead cells accumulated on it.
Steps to Exfoliate Scalp
The purpose behind knowing how to exfoliate your scalp is the same as exfoliating your face, which is to remove the dead scalp cells, which tend to get accumulated and cause hair problems. The funny part is, that the most common reason behind dead skin on the scalp is the use of products which supposedly are used for boosting good hair health! Usage of hair gels, hair sprays, not washing off the shampoo properly, etc., can result in accumulation of the left over sediments on the scalp and create problems like itchiness, dandruff, flakiness, and dryness in the scalp; which ultimately results in preventing the hair from receiving proper nourishment. Therefore, if you really want to save yourself from scalp related issues like dry flakes, itchiness, etc., then exfoliating your scalp at least once in a week will definitely prove to be beneficial for a healthy hair growth. The process is very simple and can be done before, during, or after you shampoo your hair. Have a look at how you can exfoliate your scalp at home.
Exfoliate Scalp While Shampooing
- If you wish to exfoliate while shampooing, then all you need to do is to add a tablespoon of brown sugar to your shampoo and gently massage your scalp in a circular motion while you shampoo.
- Start from your nape and move upwards in a circular motion. Continue the massaging for about 5 minutes until all the scalp is covered.
- Rinse thoroughly until the sugar and shampoo is washed off completely. It is better to rinse and massage at the same time to make sure the particles are getting washed off.
- If you find it difficult to do alone, you can take help of someone to exfoliate your scalp for you.
Exfoliate Scalp While Conditioning
- If you want to exfoliate your scalp while conditioning, then you need to mix 1 tablespoon of sugar, a few drops of essential oil (tea tree, vitamin E, or peppermint oil), with 3 tablespoons of hair conditioner. Some people take equal parts of brown sugar and conditioner to make a thick paste. You can opt for whatever seems convenient to you.
- Take the mixture on your fingertips and gently exfoliate the scalp for at least 5 minutes until you have covered the entire surface. Again, it is best to start with your nape and move upwards in a circular motion, covering the entire scalp.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with one hand and continue massaging from the other, to make sure that the particles are getting washed off.
- Continue rinsing for 10-15 minutes.
- Once your scalp is absolutely clean, take a mixture that contains ½ cup of vinegar along with 1 cup of water. Take this mixture in a bowl or mug.
- Pour this solution over your hair and place another bowl at the point where the solution is dripping from your hair.
- Now switch the bowls and continue to rinse your head with this solution about 10-15 times as this rinses away the left over exfoliant.
With the increased use of so many hair care products and application of various gels, mousse, chemicals, and sprays; our scalp continues to shed dead skin. Most of the time, the dry particles on our head is not dandruff but the dead skin that is shedding from our scalp. It becomes necessary to exfoliate scalp as these particles may end up clogging your hair follicles. This is why, in spite of using so many products, you never get the shine and health that you want in your hair. Apart from the aforementioned natural method to exfoliate scalp, you can also check for a variety of exfoliating products for scalp, like a hair scrub, in your nearest supermarket. Check for the ingredients and instructions and choose accordingly. Make sure you take care of your scalp as much as you take care of your hair. It's ultimately the scalp that will give you healthy and beautiful hair, just the way you want it. Take care. :)