How you wish you could have tresses like 'Rapunzel', which lay down like soft stairs that puts the tangles burning in envy. Well, we cannot have hair that long, but we can sure treat prince charming with some beautiful hair. With errant lifestyles, running to the spa every week is not a piece of cake, and adding to the worry is the expensive costs of getting hair treated from the spa.
Most of us stare curiously at every weak and dry strand of hair, pleading it to smile with some soft winks and a healthy shine. For all those keen to transform dry and un-manageable hair, into shine obsessed hair, get yourself fine hair treatments at home. Hair spa treatment at home, is a cost-effective and natural way to pamper your hair. All you need is basic ingredients, and you can make your hair lustrous, shiny and presentable. We have a treasure of recipes and natural herbal options that make excellent hair care products. Step in as we unveil these homemade secrets...
Dry Hair - Spa Treatment at Home
Dry hair is among the stubborn kinds, no matter how clean you wash them, they create a frenzy when it comes to good styling. A spa like treatment is mainly to moisturize the hair, leaving it soft and supple. We will first take a look at the procedure and then the recipes that make the products of your home spa.
- Make sure you oil your hair. Oiling is very important as it creates moisture in the hair. It also nourishes the roots of your hair, making them strong, preventing hair fall, damage and split ends. Massage the oil to the roots in circular motion, covering the entire head. Make sure you give a mild massage for 10 minutes. You may use a warm wrap around the head for another 15 minutes after oiling. Simply dip a towel in warm water, squeeze out the water, and use this wrap around your hair.
- The next step is to shampoo your hair. Use a mild shampoo, do not use harsh chemicals on your hair, try to use natural products. You may want to use a mild and acidic shampoo specially for dry hair. Rinse the shampoo well, and make sure there is no residue on the scalp. You may shampoo twice in case you have oiled your hair for long. Do not use excess shampoo, it may make your hair more dry. Use warm water always, hot water will damage your hair.
- Conditioning is the next step to healthy hair. After shampoo, make sure you use a good conditioner. Apply it on the hair till the ends. Avoid using it on the scalp and roots. Keep for 3 minutes and rinse well.
Home Spa - Recipes for Products
Hair Oil: For dry and damaged tresses, oiling and nourishing the hair from within the roots is very important. Make sure, before you shampoo, you oil the hair for at least for 20 minutes. Below are some natural products that make a good oil for dry and rough hair.
- Olive Oil - A mixture of olive oil with coconut oil will make a good combination to nourish your hair. Another option is to mix olive oil and lime juice. Mix some warm olive oil with a few drops of lime juice to make this oil. You can also mix rosemary leaves with olive oil in equal quantities, for a good oiling solution.
- Almond Oil - Almond oil makes the best nourishing and strengthening agent for dry hair. You can mix almond oil with rosemary oil and use this combination, or you can simply use pure almond oil on the scalp. Another supplement for oil is coconut oil. One can use coconut oil directly. Or you can also scrape raw coconut and squeeze the grated pulp. Use this coconut milk as oil to massage the scalp. You may also use peanut oil (if you can brave the nutty smell on your head) or you can also use safflower oil, that helps nourish hair.
Hair Masks and Conditioners: Hair masks really work to liven up dry and frizzy hair. The following will include conditioning and repair masks, that will give shine and strength to dry hair, making them more soft and manageable.
- Avocado and Coconut Milk - Mix mashed avocado with coconut milk, use coconut milk to create the consistency of a conditioner with the avocado mix. Apply this on your hair from the base to the ends. Cover the head with a plastic shower cap or wrap. Leave for 15-20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Oatmeal and Yogurt - Oatmeal mixed with yogurt makes an excellent hair conditioner. In case of any dandruff issues, this conditioner works wonders. Apply this mixture after shampooing and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Mayonnaise and Avocado Mask - Mix mashed avocados with mayonnaise and apply to the hair. Wrap it in a warm towel and keep for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Avocado and Egg Mask - Mix ripe avocado with an egg and some wheat germ oil or Castor oil or olive oil too. Apply this through the tips to roots. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse well. Use this mask before shampooing.
- Egg Mask - Blend egg with some water, apply this to the hair, keep for 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Avocado Mask - A mixture of avocado, mayonnaise, few drops of honey, lemon and some peppermint oil blended together form a perfect mask. Apply on the hair and leave for 20 minutes, rinse thoroughly.
- No Frizz Conditioner - Mix 4 tbsp of conditioner and few drops of almond oil and honey. Mix well, and apply on damp hair. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse.
- Banana and Honey Pack - This works best for managing dry hair. Mix 1 ripe banana, honey and mayonnaise to form a smooth paste. Apply on damp hair, starting from the roots till the end. Wrap with warm towel, and rinse after 20 minutes.
These were some of the best packs for hair care. Choose any that suits you the most. To give the final touch of a spa to your hair, you can try some leave-in conditioners and sprays. When styling your hair, try to air-dry, and even when blow-drying, use cold to warm air. Make a mixture of olive oil, bottled water, a light conditioner and lemon juice. Blend well and keep this mixture in a spray bottle.
Spray this on damp hair before styling. You can also use beer mixed with water. You can use this spray, and blow-dry for a perfect shine. Put some lime in 2 cups water and mix using a blender. You can also use orange instead of lime for frizzy hair. Strain this mixture and store this water in a sprayer bottle. Use before styling to manage dry hair.
I have shared all that you need for an at home spa for dry hair. Get going girls... treat those tresses like in paradise... well, I already see Rapunzel stare in disbelief!