Hair loss caused due to medicines, stress, lack of protein, or hair care products can be prevented by avoiding certain medicines, taking adequate rest, improving the diet, etc. Usually this condition is associated with men, however nowadays even women have been complaining about it. The main cause of hair loss is excessive use of shampoos and other hair products that have chemicals in them. The stress and anxiety in today's busy life are also the reasons that lead to loss of hair. Hair loss can also be attributed to genetic makeup of the individual, i.e. people whose parents or grandparents have this problem have high chances of having it themselves.
Other than this, people affected by health problems like hypothyroidism, iron deficiency, and seborrheic dermatitis are also prone to this condition. Though seeing strands of hair when you comb or wash your hair is a matter of concern, it can be stopped or prevented with the help of various home remedies. The effectiveness of these home remedies cannot be generalized, however one good thing about them is that they do not have any side effects.
- Aloe vera, which has several health benefits, is also an excellent method to cure this problem. One can purchase aloe vera gels from the market or apply it directly by slitting the plant horizontally. Apply the gel on the scalp and wash it off under cold water. It is also known to be a good conditioner for the hair.
- Using mustard oil with henna leaves is also a good natural option. Take 250 ml mustard oil and boil it. When it starts boiling, add 60 grams of henna leaves until they get burnt in the oil. Store the oil in a bottle by filtering it and regularly massage your scalp with it.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and then add honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it. Mix well till it becomes a fine paste, and then apply it on your hair. Leave the paste on the scalp for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Applying coconut milk to the hair is also one of the best ways of preventing hair loss. Take some coconut milk in a bowl and apply it on your hair by gently massaging your scalp with the fingers.
Nutrition to Prevent Hair Loss
Apart from these home remedies for hair loss, one's diet also plays an important role in preventing hair loss. Just like our body, even our hair requires essential nutrients and vitamins to stay healthy. Hence, it is important that people maintain a nutritious diet to stop loss of hair and promote hair growth. This condition can occur due to vitamin deficiency also. One can cover this deficiency by consuming foods rich in vitamin A, B, C, and E. Foods that help to curtail this condition include leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, nuts, grains, seeds, milk, yeast, wheat germ, honey, etc. One can ensure that some or all of these foods get included in the daily diet.
Tips to Prevent Hair Loss
Apart from the information on home remedies and diet, there are also other tips that will help in the treatment of this condition. Some of them are:
- One must totally avoid washing hair in hot or warm water, as this can be responsible for hair loss. Always wash your hair with lukewarm or cold water and use a mild shampoo.
- Using steam on your hair is also said to be a good way to prevent this condition. Dip a towel into hot water, squeeze out the excess and wrap it on your hair. Leave it on the hair till the towel becomes cold and repeat this process for ten minutes. Do not forget to have an oil massage, before using steam.
- Rubbing your scalp with your fingers is also said to be a good way to control loss of hair. Once you have washed your hair, rub your scalp vigorously with your fingers until heat is generated in that area. This helps in increasing blood circulation and subsequently hair growth.