Highlighting hair with many colors, also known as dimensional colors, is costly. Apart from the initial coloring cost, they may charge extra depending upon the number of foils used. Some salons charge double the price of the regular coloring service. So, a low cost alternative is to apply these foils on your own which is easy. Here are the simple steps:
- Many different branded foils are sold in the market. It may be a confusing task to select one. Based on how thick your hair is, buy packets with adequate number of foils.
- Or, you can make use of household tins after cutting them into 8 inch length and 3 inch wide rectangular strips.
- Other requirements are duckbill clamps, tail comb, brushes, bowls and gloves.
- To color your hair, you can choose highlights, a common hair foiling method.
- Other methods are lowlights (adding darker shades to complement highlighted hair), twilighting (subtle change in highlighted hair) and veiling (lightening flat hair color).
- Chunky highlights or chunking gives a different look, where randomly large sections of hair are colored.
- Hair foiling requires clean and dry hair, to begin with.
- You need a help to apply foils.
- You can clip up your hair and reveal the sections you want to highlight.
- Comb and part your hair as you normally do so that your hair fall naturally.
- The directions will differ depending upon whether you are highlighting only the re-growth portion or a strand.
Applying Hair Foils
- As per the decided foiling pattern, divide your hair into sections (large or small) using a tail comb.
- Sections should nearly be the same.
- Separate a small section at a time and hold them in one hand.
- Lay the foil below the hair to be colored and brush color formula from the root to tip.
- Same can be done for coloring the re-growth portion.
- Fold the foil into half or at a distance, depending on your hair length.
- Repeat the process for foiling and highlighting the remaining hair sections with same or different shades.
- Similar to other hair coloring procedures, applying hair foil is best done from the nape to the forehead.
- Allow the color to remain for a stipulated time then remove the foils gently.