Before we start, you must know that your hair is made of two different chemical bonds: disulfide and hydrogen; curly hair is made of disulfide bonds. The only way to make your hair look permanently curly, is to artificially perm it, which is costly when compared to other techniques. Also, it is advised that you change the texture of your hair only for a day or two. This way, you don't interfere with the chemical conditioning of your hair, and it remains healthy. Using hot irons and similar methods have shown some really good results. In this article, we'll discuss these methods.
✔ Don't wash your hair 1-2 days prior to curling them. This is because the natural sebum, that makes your hair oily, helps the curls to last longer.
✔ Depending on the type of hairstyle you want, choose between loose curls and small curls. You will need small curlers to get tighter curls, and larger curlers to get loose curls.
✔ If your hair is manageable, it is better to opt for the hot roller technique.
✔ Do not over-comb your hair before you start; it can turn into a big, frizzy mess in no time.
Different Types of Hair Curling Techniques
- Create 1-2-inch triangular sections of your hair. Increase the size of these sections if you want loose curls. Start curling the hair from the nape and then move upward, towards the crown of your head.
- Wrap the hair strands slowly around the iron barrel's exterior. Apply pomade to the ends of your hair so that you get maximum protection from the curling iron's heat.
- Now, hold the iron still for about 30 seconds; keeping it for a longer time can severely damage your hair's texture. Remove your hair from the iron and use fingers to create spiral curls.
- Spray a good quality hair spray over the curls and pin them up to your scalp. Repeat this process till you have curled all the sections. Remove the hair pins only when you want to move out of the house.
- Repeat step 1 and 2 from the procedure mentioned above.
- Make sure you secure the rollers as tightly as possible. Once the entire head is covered with rollers, let them cool down completely.
- Now, remove the rollers one by one, and create curls with help of your fingers.
- Apply hairspray and pin up the hair to the scalp and let them stay in that position for about an hour.
There are several other techniques such as knots, braid hairstyles, bobby pins, sponge, or foam rollers; these, however, may not provide the best of results.