Steps for best color highlights
Determine The Color
First, determine the color of your hair. Take help from friends, office colleagues, or your partner. Very often it has been noted that men are able to determine the exact color, as they are more objective. If you visit a hairstylist regularly, you can seek his/her advice as well.
Select Color For Highlights
Once the dust has settled on the hair color debate, you can start the process of choosing the right shade for your highlights. Often, people ask which highlights would be most suitable for brown or blond hair, or if it's possible to have highlights with long hairstyles. The answer is to choose a shade which is closer to your natural hair color.
It is advisable to pick a color, which is a couple of shades darker. First, try a shade which is one shade darker, and then if you want, you may go one step further. The other suggestion is to choose colors which tilt towards the red shade.
Never highlight your hair with a shade three or more times lighter than its original color. The slightest change in hair color can change a person's complete appearance.
Colors To Avoid For Specific Skin Tones
People who are pink-toned should avoid colors in red shade, as it might seem as mismatched as can be. People who are yellow-toned should keep off from yellows or orange-based colors, to avoid looking as if they've just returned from one of the Caribbean countries.
Temporary Trial Colors
If you plan to highlight your own hair, you should first try out wash-in/wash-out colors before you actually use permanent ones. This method will ensure that you first experiment with different shades, and then come to a decision, based on the one color, or combination of colors that suit you most.
Hair magazines can be of great help in choosing the right hair color. They usually have the latest hair coloring ideas and fashion trends. These tips will help you chose a shade, which you probably didn't know existed, or may be one you would otherwise shy away from trying.
- Check the expiry date on the package.
- You should purchase well-fitting latex gloves to use while coloring your hair. Very often, the gloves which come with the hair color do not fit well.
- Never wash your hair on the day you want to highlight them. Wash them two days prior. Color should always be applied on dry unwashed hair, unless the directions say otherwise.
- Highlights should be on the uppermost layer of your hair.
- Last but not the least, always perform a skin test to determine whether you are sensitive to the color. Be sure that you do not have any kind of skin reaction due to the chemicals.
Use leave-in conditioners, as these contain sunscreen, providing the extra protection required for your hair. Do not use any lightening agents on your hair. Use of lemon can be harmful, and therefore, should be avoided. After some time, you will notice that your highlights have faded away, and require retouching.