People who have dandruff often tend to scratch the scalp to relieve itching. Scratching the scalp frequently, weakens the roots of hair. This eventually leads to hair fall. Severe dandruff can also block hair follicles which might lead to slower hair growth.
Causes of Dandruff
A person can develop dandruff due to several reasons. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia globosa that grows on the scalp.
- Irregular and infrequent shampooing can also cause dandruff.
- Excessive use of hair styling products, such as hair gels, wax and hair mousse can cause product buildup. This in turn can lead to dandruff.
- Cold and dry weather also causes dandruff.
- Poor personal hygiene might also contribute to this problem.
The misconception that anti-dandruff hair care products are strong and medicinal, is ruled out by hair and skin specialists. These shampoos and conditioners contain a formulation of mild cleansers and chemicals to treat dandruff, and thus are safe for regular use (provided the person is not allergic to any of the chemicals present).
Home Remedies for Dandruff and Hair Loss
The best hair loss solution might not be effective if you suffer from dandruff. So, it is imperative that you follow some home remedies to get rid of dandruff
Rinse your hair thoroughly with plenty of water after shampooing. Evey week, you can wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove product build up.
Massage your scalp with warm coconut oil every alternate day. Make sure that you do not leave the oil on your hair for more than two hours. To enhance the effect, you can also add a few drops of lemon juice. Massaging stimulates blood circulation and promotes follicle growth.
Use apple cider vinegar for rinsing your hair after shampooing. It will not only help in getting rid of dandruff, but it will also make your hair shiny.
Some Tips to Prevent Dandruff
- Keep your scalp and hair moisturized and well-conditioned. Follow a balanced diet rich in essential fatty acids, especially omega-3.
- Avoid excessive and frequent use of hair styling products, especially hair gels and sprays.
- Massage scalp and hair with hot oil to avoid a dry scalp and to boost circulation.
Dandruff is not a disease in itself. It is only a symptom of some other disorder your body is suffering from. The best way to get rid of dandruff would be to cure the actual ailment first.