Cornrow hairstyles are very popular among the youth, and everyone loves to experiment with different styles. A cornrow is a braided hairstyle that is created by taking small sections of hair and braiding them tightly. A unique aspect of cornrow braids is that they are done quite close to the scalp, following the natural contours of your head.
Although this style is more popular among African and African-American people, many people of other ethnicities like to sport this hairstyle too. You need to have thick coarse hair and not thin silky hair to create cornrows.
Cute Styles for Girls
- To create this style, you need hair that has been washed a day earlier. Your hair should not be too silky. Comb your hair out with a wide-toothed comb to remove all knots and tangles. Next, make a deep side parting on the left side of your head.
- Braid a single row by taking a four inch section of hair, going from the crown area to the back. Keep the braid tight and as close to the scalp as possible. When you reach the nape of the neck, secure the cornrow with an elastic band. Tie the rest of your hair, into a loose chignon and then set your hair by spraying it with a spritz of medium-hold hairspray.
- First section your hair in 2 parts, creating a deep side part on the right. Take a two inch section from above your ear and make a braid, keeping it tight and close to your head. Once you reach the end of your crown, secure the braid with an elastic and clip it to your head with a hair clip.
- Take another two inch section of hair, above the first cornrow and then proceed to braid this section in the same way. Secure and clip the second one in the same way. Once both cornrows are done, apply a bit of mousse to keep the hairstyle in place. Flat iron the rest of your hair and allow it to fall naturally.
- Create 6 to 8 cornrows starting from the front of your hairline to the crown of your head. Secure these braids with elastic bands, and then curl the rest of your hair with a curling iron. Make a small, high ponytail with the curled hair, and your hairstyle is ready.
These were some simple and easy hairstyles. There are many cornrow styles that are unique and attractive. Experimenting with different styles will make you come up with new designs. While creating cornrows, make sure that you apply some good quality hair care products to protect your hair. Cornrow braids of all styles require lots of practice.