Here is how you can check how a certain shade would against your skin tone, without causing a severe damage to your hair. If chunky highlights for brown hair is what you are looking for, then you need to know which color highlights and hair coloring ideas are best suited for brown hair.
For natural looking highlights:
- Color your hair with highlights that are only a shade or two lighter than your natural color.
If you have light chestnut colored hair, chunky highlights in honey blonde will look great.
Strawberry blonde chunky highlights look beautiful on medium brown hair.
- Another vital factor while deciding on a chunky highlight is your face shape. They look good on round faces when put away from the hairline. For oval faces, it is important to place them only at the ends of the hair, as highlights at the roots tend to emphasize longness of the face. For square faces it is simple, place highlights evenly all over the head.
- Highlight colors depend on whether your hair are cool-toned or warm-toned. It means, if your hair are cool-toned, you have ash and beige undertones and if they are warm-toned, then golden or reddish are the undertones. Your highlights should match the undertones of your hair. For example, light brown hair with chunky highlights in blonde can look superb.
For a catchy look, get chunky highlights in a shade much lighter than your natural color. The disparity between the two shades is sure to make the highlights stand out. For these kinds of streaking or highlighting, you may streak your long layered hair all over, but preferably only in selected areas of your bangs and around your face for shorter hair.
To highlight brown hair, you will need to bleach the desired portions. The time period you will leave the bleach in for, will depend on how light you want your highlights to be. Many people end up with orangish or brassy highlights, when they try doing it themselves. That is why it's ideal to get chunky highlights done by a stylist.
If you decide to give it a go at home here are some tips that may help you to learn how to highlight your own hair:
- Do some research, ask your friends and ensure you are using the right product. Technique is important too and you need the box with the cap and hook for short hair with a paint brush for long hair. Follow all the directions given on the product.
- Some hair products suggest washing your hair a day or two ahead of coloring, so as to ensure that your natural oils are present at the time of the process, which will protect your scalp and hair to a certain extent.
- It is of utmost importance to get the right color for your hair. For warm highlights, select gold or caramel tones.