The best way to achieve a perfect blow dry is to have the right hair care products and tools for it. If your hair texture is naturally straight, then straightening it by blow drying is easy. However, it becomes a bit difficult for curly hair. Extreme heat can damage the hair, making it dry and brittle. So, proper care should be taken to ensure that the dryer is set at a low heat. Given below is the procedure for straightening hair by blow drying it.
- A hairdryer that comes with a medium-heat setting
- A paddle brush
- Large clips to separate hair
- Hair mousse
- Smoothening serum to remove any frizziness.
- Before shampooing, disentangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Make sure that you remove all the knots and tangles, as this will help you while drying it.
- After you shampoo, apply a conditioner which helps in straightening and smoothening the hair. There are a variety of hair straightening shampoos that you can choose from to suit your needs. Apply the mousse through the hair strands
- Run your fingers through your hair, and then blow dry it at a low setting until it is almost 90-percent dry.
- Partition it into 5-inch deep sections, and secure them with clips. Starting at the nape of your neck, take a section of hair and brush it from the roots to the end, pulling it towards the shoulders. Then, using the hair dryer with the nozzle attached to it, blow dry your hair.
- Always direct the hair dryer downwards, so that the cuticles lie flat against each other. This gives the hair a sleek look. Also, brush through the underside of your hair so that it is directly exposed to the heat of the dryer. Repeat the same procedure for the top of your hair. Keep the tension uniform while using the brush, to obtain an even hair texture.
- Be sure to keep the dryer at a distance of at least 4 - 5 inches, otherwise your hair might get burnt. Continue blow drying a section of hair until it is fully straightened.
- When you are done with one section, let it fall back very carefully. Avoid touching it until it is completely cooled. Repeat this process for all the sections to straighten the entire length of your hair.
- Now, apply a smoothening serum to take care of any frizziness. Do not apply it too close to your scalp, or you will end up with limp hair. Additionally, if you want to give volume to your hair, blow dry it upside down.
Here is a list of blow drying products that are recommended for different hair types and textures.
- Thick hair: Thick hair needs heavy products like gels, creams, and high strength mousse.
- Fine hair: Fine hair works best with lighter products like a mousse or a hair spray.
- Wavy hair: For wavy hair, use gels, liquids, and cream styling products.
If you want to blow dry your hair into curls, then always use a shampoo specially designed for curly hair to make the process easier. Use a good-quality leave-in- conditioner to tame your hair, as curly hair is more prone to frizz. Follow the same steps as that of straightening hair. If you want more volume, gently lift your curls while blow drying them.
A round brush is essential for creating hairstyles that require volume and texture, while a paddle brush is used for those hairstyles that have a sleek and straight look. For creating the perfect hairstyles, use the correct brush. The heat from the blow dryer makes the cuticles of your hair 'open up', so always subject it to a blast of cold air to smooth the cuticles, which helps the style to set.